Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Sweet Holy Jeans!

(12 posts)
  1. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One thing I noticed when I was trying to smoke in the car was that I have never ever ever burned a hole (even partially) in jeans, while I have in every other type of material, with a leather jacket (the hard leather kind) I have noticed the same thing. It looks like a leather jacket and jeans are impervious to this as it has never happened (not even discoloration) in a whole year. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just getting lucky?

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've never burnt jeans, even standing in a fire. I have ripped them though.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I suppose one could burn heavy denim or leather, but it would probably take a concerted effort.

I have burned leather (it now has a burn mark) -- a lit cigar that was in the ashtray rolled onto it and I didn't notice it for a while -- apparently long enough to burn it. It doesn't look pretty, but it's just a surface mark.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm, I wear khakis and usually a wool coat in the winter while driving to work. Have never burnt anything (yet!!)

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How is it you are burning your clothes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

When I smoked cigs I managed to burn just about every bit of clothing I had. Since I switched to the pipe, not a thing...

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once in awhile I'll get an ember from my pipe that jumps out and singes something. When I smoked cigarettes I burned everything including between my fingers as I tried to pull it out from my lips and the cigarette stayed glued to my lips and the cherry burned me between my fingers. SOB that hurt. That is a very tender part of the hand.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jpberg I typically wear synthetic work-out clothing a lot and polyster and nylon apparently burn extremely well... Hot ash will fall out of the pipe from puffing wrong every once and a while and melt my clothing. I fixed this by wearing a leather jacket and jeans and just realized I've never had it happen to them. I am also using a large cob in the car called "The General," so I don't have hot ash comming out so much as I don't fill it up all the way while in the car.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. wmhines

wmhines

Login to Send PM

Maybe get one of the metal wind caps for your pipe if you drive with the windows down while smoking. They're cheap and they work.

I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

I have burned a couple holes in some of my shirts...

jason

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The cheap metal windcaps are very difficult to put on and remove, there's no hinge for easy use.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Dress slacks burn nicely....

Al

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   rsuninv, ejames, tbradsim1, iliumneves, gr8scott, yohanan, drrock, jmill208, fearsclave, allan, goldsm, moonman, aaronbrill, numbersix, foggymountain, petes03, dacor, goodkat, monty55, bookn3rd5, drhuff, mso489, mustanggt, pitchfork, saint007, rickpal14, fadingdaylight