Tags:   

Sven-Lar Scuplture Boxed Set

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rockvillepete
  • Latest reply from rockvillepete
  1. rockvillepete

rockvillepete

Login to Send PM

I obtained this magnificent two-pipe Sven-Lar Sculpture boxed set by Michael Kabik from the same collection and seller as the Ben Wade Special Collection I posted here the other day. Sven-Lar was an American pipe brand created by Michael Kabik and Mel Baker shortly after the demise of Michael’s first collaborative effort, CHP-X in the early 70's. I’m not sure how long Sven-Lar was in production but this set was dated 1984. Michael is a fellow Marylander and I believe these were made in his Bel Air shop. Some of his other lines included Gran Hill, M. Kabik, Vajra, and Wenhall. He has since retired from pipemaking.

As with the Ben Wade set, these Sven-Lars are in mint condition without a single scratch or ding anywhere. The pipes are medium-sized and feature gorgeous straight/flame grain and a 14kt gold mount that are each adorned with a 1/16 carat diamond in a raised setting! I could find no info on the internet to support it but the seller claims that they are indeed genuine. The hardwood box is lined with very soft and supple chamois and is in perfect condition. Michael apparently spared no expense in making this set and the previous owner thankfully treated it like a rare jewel.

This is the second Michael Kabik example in my collection. I have an earlier CHP-X pickaxe freehand, about a Group 3 in size. I prefer larger pipes so I’ve only smoked this one a handful of times even though it is a good little smoker. So far I’ve only smoked the top-pictured pipe and it is excellent! Cool and completely dry with a very open draw.

I'm still in a state of shock and disbelief over these two sets! I’m usually not this lucky. At first I was only interested in the Ben Wade but the Sven-Lar kept nagging at me. I hesitated in dropping what was to be a pretty good chunk of change for both sets but I figured this may well be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so go for it! Besides I'd have kicked myself good and proper for letting this one go by.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on these two collector's pieces!

A bit too over the top for my taste, but this set is gorgeous -- it's quite obvious how thrilled you are with them, how you love freehand pipes, and I was pleased to read that you actually enjoy smoking them, not just looking at them

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Magnificent pipes! I really like the diamond shank with the ½-saddle bit!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of the best pipes I have ever seen. Congratulations

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on your new pipes. I hope you enjoy them for many years

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are some magnificent looking free hands, congrats on your latest acquisitions.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They are absolutely gorgeous. It looks like your hand would fit perfectly around the bowl in this configuation.

They really look to beautfiul to smoke.

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Huge wow factor with those. Good luck with them.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're just beautiful, Pete. I'm thrilled for you and, like Roth, I'm glad you're putting them and the Danish Ben Wades to work.

Good on you, friend.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Sven Lars and It is terrific. Not as fancy as yours but still along about the same style. You will enjoy smoking them mate

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. rockvillepete

rockvillepete

Login to Send PM

Many thanks all! These and the Ben Wades are some of the most beautiful pipes in my collection and I'm over the top with them as you can tell!

...I was pleased to read that you actually enjoy smoking them, not just looking at them
    - rothnh

...I'm glad you're putting them and the Danish Ben Wades to work.
    - fnord

Yes indeed! Pipes were made to be smoked and not to just sit on a shelf and look pretty collecting dust. I can understand not wanting to smoke a rare pipe that has never been smoked to maximize its value but if they've already been fired up, what the hey?!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jerry, papajoe, deimitori, eightywon, lucky695, antbauers, klause, txbeerboy, mrenglish, cortezattic, petes03