Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
I obtained this magnificent two-pipe Sven-Lar Sculpture boxed set by Michael Kabik from the same collection and seller as the Ben Wade Special Collection I posted here the other day. Sven-Lar was an American pipe brand created by Michael Kabik and Mel Baker shortly after the demise of Michael’s first collaborative effort, CHP-X in the early 70's. I’m not sure how long Sven-Lar was in production but this set was dated 1984. Michael is a fellow Marylander and I believe these were made in his Bel Air shop. Some of his other lines included Gran Hill, M. Kabik, Vajra, and Wenhall. He has since retired from pipemaking.
8506615195_608e11bb0c_n_d.jpg
8506615177_52d9ea6c20_n_d.jpg

8506615147_8de7fdc6ae_z_d.jpg

8507724976_4d9e26c917_z_d.jpg

As with the Ben Wade set, these Sven-Lars are in mint condition without a single scratch or ding anywhere. The pipes are medium-sized and feature gorgeous straight/flame grain and a 14kt gold mount that are each adorned with a 1/16 carat diamond in a raised setting! 8O I could find no info on the internet to support it but the seller claims that they are indeed genuine. The hardwood box is lined with very soft and supple chamois and is in perfect condition. Michael apparently spared no expense in making this set and the previous owner thankfully treated it like a rare jewel.
This is the second Michael Kabik example in my collection. I have an earlier CHP-X pickaxe freehand, about a Group 3 in size. I prefer larger pipes so I’ve only smoked this one a handful of times even though it is a good little smoker. So far I’ve only smoked the top-pictured pipe and it is excellent! Cool and completely dry with a very open draw.
I'm still in a state of shock and disbelief over these two sets! I’m usually not this lucky. At first I was only interested in the Ben Wade but the Sven-Lar kept nagging at me. I hesitated in dropping what was to be a pretty good chunk of change for both sets but I figured this may well be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so go for it! Besides I'd have kicked myself good and proper for letting this one go by.

:puffy:
8506615283_b30d1e0f3e_z_d.jpg

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
They are absolutely gorgeous. It looks like your hand would fit perfectly around the bowl in this configuation.
They really look to beautfiul to smoke.
Allan

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
They're just beautiful, Pete. I'm thrilled for you and, like Roth, I'm glad you're putting them and the Danish Ben Wades to work.
Good on you, friend.
Fnord

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
Many thanks all! These and the Ben Wades are some of the most beautiful pipes in my collection and I'm over the top with them as you can tell!
...I was pleased to read that you actually enjoy smoking them, not just looking at them
- rothnh
...I'm glad you're putting them and the Danish Ben Wades to work.
- fnord
Yes indeed! Pipes were made to be smoked and not to just sit on a shelf and look pretty collecting dust. I can understand not wanting to smoke a rare pipe that has never been smoked to maximize its value but if they've already been fired up, what the hey?!

:puffy: :puffy: :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.