PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just opened a tin I received from my Secret Santa for the Christmas exchange in 2010. I smoked it first in a GBD International Zulu and now in a MM Country Gentleman. It's a burley/Virginia blend with a generous amount of latakia. Sutliff says it's perfect for lovers of Dunhill's My Mixture 965. In theory maybe but it's nothing like that storied blend.

Actually, to me it is reminiscent of the old Revelation. I'm picking up a definite sweetnes that I'm guessing is the Virginia in the blend but also perhaps some sort of additional flavoring? Thankfully, there is no gurggle and it burns all the down to a dark gray ash with little or no dottle.

Again, this seems to really come out in a cob, as I think many burleys do. The latakia is always present but not overwhelming to the point of masking the other components.

Blend #5 is an easy companian with which to spend time yet does not require a lot of attention. I think most pipe smokers would enjoy a date with this blend.

Just my thoughts.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like it, too. I believe I heard somewhere that it's Paul Creasy's favorite mixture in the Sutliff line.

Status
Not open for further replies.