PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I know that JimInks put together quite an extensive match list of Sutliff tobaccos a while back, but I am more interested also in all of their blends as they are. Wouldn't really know what the match to it tasted like anyway, so I'm just out on a mission to locate some things that I might like to try. I'm really interested in finding a Christmas and Holiday blend. I know they have a Christmas Spice and Pumpkin Spice and thought about picking up a couple samples from P&C the next chance I get, but they have so many other great sounding tobaccos that I might like to try, and I'll go broke trying to buy as many of them as they have, so in the interest of saving some money and not having my wife beat me when a car-sized box of tobacco arrives, could anyone provide a few suggestions of some of their other offerings to try? I have heard that Vanilla Custard is really good and one of their top sellers, I believe, so I might pick up a little of that to try, but outside of that and the Christmas and Pumpkin Spice, are their any other "must tries"?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable' has pointed out that Sutliff provides tobaccos and blends to many other blenders, so they reach well beyond their brand, and I share his opinion that they do good work, and the people who dis' them are uninformed. A number of their aromatics, like The Great Outdoors, are skillfully blended tobacco forward, and they do a fine non-aromatic too. Comb through PC's listings and other retail sites to size up the Sutliff blends that specifically appeal to you.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
If you are interested in VA, their 507C Virginia Slices are not bad.
I like mine aged, and then I run some out and do a 50/50 blend of the Sutliff with Five Brothers burley. Kicks it up a notch and makes for a potent smoke!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Agreed - there's an unjustified "love-to-hate" about Sutliff on a lot of the forums, when I think they're actually the best of the big mass-market bulk blenders (like Lane and Stokkebye).
Barbados Plantation is one of the best aros out there. I just ordered a bunch of their other blends to try from the P&C sale, but they haven't arrived yet.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They do Mac Baren, St. Bruno, some of P&C's blends, Edward G. Robinson, and many others. I personally enjoy many of their offerings both aro and non aro. Creme Brulee is the bulk form of the very popular Molto Dolce. Then there is the universally reviled Mixture 79 that I really like.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
P&C is offering 15% off all Sutliff bulk tobaccos with the code CAVENDISH. I placed an order today for Creme Brulee (I really like Molto Dolce), Blue Note and some Heavy English. It's in the July catalog page 46.

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
Their 365 Match is a good smoke on its own merits. Cut and flavor are a bit different than Dunhill, but close, and as I said, a good smoke either way.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Okay, that sounds like a plan then. I was eyeballing that sale with an order of some of the Sutliff blends in mind, so maybe I'll take advantage of that. There's just so many to choose from, but I'll try some of these y'all suggested. Thanks guys!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my favorite Sutliff blends was Westminster, not to be confused with the G.L. Pease blend of the same name. It is no longer offered by that name, but jiminks pointed out that is is now offered as a Sutliff match to Dunhill's London Mixture (I hope I have that right), a mild English blend with Orientals. Sutlilff does quality blends with consistency and good leaf, but some up-market smokers think they're lesser blends because the prices are low. Not so, in my opinion.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sutliff does great work, including The Standard Tobacco Co.'s War Horse line.
If you are interested in VA, their 507C Virginia Slices are not bad.
Alas, that's one that they do not make. It's actually an STG product.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO: You have that right.
DaveT: Balkan Luxury Blend 957 is sold in bulk as Balkan Sobranie 759 Match.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm not certain, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the H&H one is Russ' own take on 759.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sutliff does make it for H&H. I asked Russ just now which recipe is used, and he said it was his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.