Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It's that time of year again - the big industry trade show kicks off in Las Vegas this weekend, and wow, have they been busy over at Sutliff! There's a whole bunch of new tobaccos in every category, and even some quite cool sub-categories, like; "Whiskey Flavored Aromatics" for example. There are also English, Virginia/Periques, and many more. Notice the links at the very bottom of the article for downloadable PDF brochures.
Check it out -

Sutliff Tobacco Unveils New Product Lineup For 2014

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
My first impressions on what i've tried

April Dawn

An aromatic blend of Sweet Cherries applied to a base of Virginia and Burley tobaccos - Lighter than their previous cherry attempts...smells/tastes too much like my girlfriend's Cherry Blossom Perfume...a little bitey but NOT a sticky aromatic
Honey and Chocolate

Chocolate and Honey sweeten this mixture of Burley, Virginia and Black Cavendish. - Light Sweet burns perfectly and awesome room-note..More Honey than Chocolate...for those of you who miss MacBaren's H&C this is way way better. Sutliff scored BIG with this blend
Sutliff 1849

A delightful mixture of Rich Virginias and Spicy Perique tobaccos. - I really love this blend. LIGHT SWEET and mildly peppery (only hints not punches of pepper) - smoke this daily if you like VA blends with hints of Perique...go for this and you can't beat the price
Old San Francisco

A complex mixture comprised of Virginia, Perique, Dark Fired Burley and Latakia. - first impression not bad...but letting it rest a bit. Like a lot of Sutliff blends i find myself asking when i first open a tine "am i tasting tobacco or preservative" - my best buddy swears by this stuff and loves it...but after only one bowl (so a completely unfair assesment) i'm not impressed
Court of St. James

Spicy Perique with Tangy Virginia Flake. - HAVEN'T smoked yet but popped the tin about two weeks ago and have looked at the blend and smelled it 4 or 5 times. the blend does not have an appealing look. The VA broken flakes along with ribbon cut perique lead me to believe that this blend will never be consistent. But the tobacco smells good (haven't smoked yet but still smell the preservatives used in the tin - will smoke once i no longer pick up on that smell)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd better hurry up and open my Taste of Summer before fall gets here.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The 1849 is a good tobacco. I was the taste tester for it, and made one suggestion (a little more perique), which Sutliff followed, which greatly pleased me. Here's my review of it:
The tangy sweet red Virginia short ribbon is complemented by the citrusy sweet bright flue cured Virginia thin flake. The red Va. is the more obvious of the two Virginias. The perique is both granulated and ribbon cut, offering some sweetness with bursts of pepper. Burns well with few relights; smooth and dry with no dottle, and no discernible topping. A pleasing all day mild to medium VaPer for those who want some spice during their smoking day. It's also tinned in the MacBaren style.
Here's a link for my reviews of the new Private Stock blends in case anybody missed them. Some are real winners!:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-sutliff-private-stock-reviews-chapter-two

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Don't they already have enough blends that no one smokes?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Don't they already have enough blends that no one smokes?

I smoke them, and I'm not a nobody. Many other people smoke them, and they are not nobodies either. The company produces tobacco, they are making money, they sponsor various events that benefit pipe smokers, and Paul Creasy, the president of the company, is a first-rate gentleman and very approachable fellow. They manufacture a range of tobaccos from the drugstore variety up to the premium level, and produce quite a few pleasant, enjoyable premium tobaccos that are enjoyed by many pipe smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.