PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I ordered a tin of this based on some positive reviews I read elsewhere on the net, and I must say, you may now count me among its supporters. It is the best non-aro I have smoked thus far. It's a VA-Latakia-Oriental with no Perique. If you are like me a fan of english blends but not in love with the peppery taste of Perique, this could be your holy grail. It's got the definite Latakia-rich character of an english, but with a very pleasant, slightly sweet, mellow taste. The moisture (or lack of it) was perfect right from the tin. Says it's a ribbon cut but it's not completely. I used the Frank method to pack (as I would for a ribbon)and it lit easily and burned clean to the end without a relight. Nice thick smoke without needing to puff up a storm. It doesn't need to be sipped with above-average slowness to avoid bite and gurgle either. I was smoking it in a fairly short-stemmed estate Comoy pot that was reamed to the briar and doesn't yet have a cake to speak of, taking regular puffs, and it stayed cool to the touch, zero bite, and required only one pass with a pipecleaner (and this was a morning smoke on a humid day in S Florida, and I was puffing a little faster than I usually would just to see how Bosphorus Cruise would handle it). It's not overly mild either, I'd call it a medium strength, plenty of body, but Dunhill Nightcap seems brutally harsh by comparison. I sometimes have trouble finishing a grp 4 bowl of NC but I could easily smoke an XL of Bosphorus Cruise. This is definitely going to be a go-to blend for me.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Nice write up. I enjoy this blend a lot. It really is a fantastic all day smoke with a decent price point. Actually I think I will open a tin now.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah I was just thinking that I have a tin of that somewhere around here...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was surprised and pleased with Great Outdoors as I am just about through a tin. I bought a second tin

of Westminster (Sutliff version) after enjoying a goody bag tin from a pipe show, and still have an unopened

tin of Taste of Summer. I enjoy some upscale blends, but these are interesting blends at reasonable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.