PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I really enjoyed this pipe tobacco. First off the smoke smells great; nothing like I expected just sniffing the tin. The first go around I didn't enjoy it so I switched back to my gold blend. Letting it sit a week helped; I think it was too moist. I get a much better burn and I re-light less and it tastes better now that I can really just sit back and sip. One thing I have noticed though is it seems to bite hard on a relight; I knock the ash to keep it going and tamp and puff when it feels weak. Any ideas why this happens or anyone have this same experience? Hope you all enjoy it too. It was fairly cheap so if I can't fix the re-light issue I could just dump it after I enjoyed the first 70%. I give it a 7/10 overall. I don't enjoy it as much as my gold blend. -Take care all.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Tastes like chemical warfare, I give it a 1/10 (can't please everyone). It's like they took normal pipe tobacco and put bug spray in it...

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
First off let me say I've never had the pleasure of smoking the Original Trout Stream from House of Windsor for true comparison's Sake.
I'm glad to see this post about Sutliff's Great Outdoors. I received a tin from the Altadis Company via filling out a form for a free sample. I smoked it direct out of the tin but didn't care much for it's chemical taste. The taste did improve once it was allowed to dry some and became more enjoyable. I gave it a smoke in both a cob as well as a briar without any noticeable difference. I do have to applaud the company for sending out these free samples.
great1-600x337.jpg

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'm not sure why but I just received the second free tin of this in the mail. No complaints on free items!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I got a third one yesterday actually!

First two were molto dolce then yesterday I recieved Great outdoors. Haven't opened it and based on what you guys have said I probably won't for quite awhile.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Lol! Well that's fun. I just received a free tin of this too! They must be very anxious to give it away! I enjoyed it for what it is, a pretty mild, light aromatic. For me, it will be a good smoke to sit out on the porch and not pay much attention to!

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I only received one free tin , and that was a couple of years ago. I'm feel'n a little jip'd.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I have had a tin stashed away for a while now, looks like i need to open it up and jar it and maybe pull it out to smoke next fall while chasing grouse.

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Just tried GO this morning on the way to work. I did not really care for it. I am going to try and let it dry a bit and pack another bowl. I like the smell of it in the tin, but did not care for it straight from the tin.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't smoke aromatics much anymore -- couple of times a year, actually -- but for some reason I picked up a tin of this and Man's Best Friend, and I really enjoy them. (Which is bizarre because I don't like the flavor of anise, which is what's in Great Outdoors.) For me it's a change of pace. . . although it takes me about half a bowlful to adjust to the flavor.
I did find that it hangs with the pipe for a while, though. I tried sampling another aro in my aro pipes that last had Great Outdoors in them, and it was not a fun experience. Let's just say that Great Outdoors and Stokkebye's Nougat do NOT play well together.
Sheesh. . . You're all gonna think I was lying when I said I don't smoke aromatics much. . . ;)
Bob

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Decided to give GO another chance. I let it sit out a bit this time. Around 4 hours. Packed a bowl had drove out to the pier to chill out. Very nice this time. Smoked cool since it dried a bit and every once in while got a pleasant licorice flavor.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I found that it had the generic licorice flavor of Mixture 79 with out the cloying fake floral notes, I got a tin so maybe i will have to let it dry out and see how it goes again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received a tin of Sutliff's Westminister at the pipe show a year ago and it was good, an English Blend. This year I

received two in the goody bag, Great Outdoors and Taste of Summer. I haven't opened either, I have so much

good tobacco on hand. 965, Nat Sherman 536, Lanes LL-7, Lanes Q-1, and several others, and a few home

mixes elbow these out. I'll get to them eventually. Several OTC's waiting in line -- half tin of Granger, a sealed

pouch of CH, a sealed tin of Half-and-Half, etc. A few tins of good stuff aging. Now I know to let Great Outdoors

dry out a little before smoking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.