PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello one and all. I have a couple of estate pipes here that are stamped 'Superior Seconds' with 'London, England'. I have checked in Who Made That Pipe but drew a blank. Does anyone out there know who made these pipes?
Though clearly seconds they are really not too bad at all, I think they were designated as such simply because the grain is not very exciting. There are certainly no discernible faults as far as I can see.
Thoughts anyone?
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are looking for great smoking pipes at modest prices, seconds are a good place to start. Shopping seconds requires an experienced, if not trained, eye, so you can see what you are getting, and you can still miss the boat. Some of my seconds from pipe shows and shop baskets are some of the best smokers I have. Obviously, you're not buying prestige.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mawn', sorry, didn't mean to stray too far from the post. I understand these seconds of yours are pretty well flawless (except maybe for not enough grain). You're after information on the pipe maker, and I don't have that information. I was philosophizing about seconds in general, but I didn't mean to seem to drift from the subject. Sorry. Seconds always interest me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
No apology necessary MSO, just a simple misunderstanding :puffy:
Al, I suspect you are right, however I am casting my net wide in the hope I might get a nibble.
Regards,
Jay.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
If you compare the stamping style to known makers you may find your answer. I'd look on http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/index-en.html to start.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Greg, the lettering used is similar to at least 3 London pipemakers that I am aware of possibly more but a good idea all the same.
Likely the product of one of the more obscure manufacturers.
Got another bundle of estates today and spy another mystery pipe, 'Skikda Super' but can find nothing on that either :(
Regards,
Jay.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
You should post some pics. Often the shape can provide some insight as to whether it was Charatans or Dunhill or whatever other English brand may have made them. Usually Comoys seconds had shape numbers on them.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Good idea Sam, however I have tried that in the past to no avail. Best I try looking elsewhere.
On another note, closer inspection of the Skikda pipe tells me it is made in Algeria!
Thanks and regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Jay, if you want to post pics, the easiest way to do it is to upload the image(s) to imgur. Once the image is uploaded to Imgur, Right Click on the pic and choose "copy image address." When you're posting on the Forums, click the IMG button and paste the copied image address right into the box. Click OK and it should show up here in the Forums just fine.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Jay, it occurs to me that you've posted pics in the past and were simply commenting on not getting good feedback based on shapes and whatnot. In which case, please disregard the previous post! :oops:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Pitchfork, apologies it is my fault, I should have been clearer, yes I meant it got me nowhere, however I just did post some images of other mystery pipes and things are looking up on the ID front so best I snap the Superior Seconds and post them as Sam suggested.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.