PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
Im finding online that sunset rum is made by milan and sutliff...are they the same? I bought some at a shop while out of town in bulk and love it but i dont know who made it.......

I've had both, and both are good. But, I've noticed that the Milan version has more of a "tobacco" taste, which is what I prefer in an aro. But, my GF told me that she prefers the room not on the Sutliff version. She complained that the Milan blend smells "old man-ish" of which I am not sure what she means. Unless, she means it's just that tobacco flavor coming through.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cosmicfolklore, I think your GF is quite a psychologist. Old man-ish; she figured that would put you off it. I think we all need

a couple of room deodorizing aromatic tobaccos that we actually enjoy (to some degree) to placate our sweethearts. It always

pays to spread happiness to your significant other. Look at all my Christmas and birthday pipes, for example.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
imagenthat...I think it would be pretty safe to say the one you bought was an Altadis bulk. In my experience, most of the aromatics carried in B&Ms are Altadis. And, unless Milan confirms different, I would suspect the blends you are referring to are one in the same. Many tobacco shops will try to sell you a blend as their own in the hopes of creating a repeat customer.
cosmic...My wife has told me days apart of me smoking the same blend that she "Really likes that one" and "that one doesn't smell as good as the other one you smoked" When they were in fact the same bland and pipe. I do think body chemistry from day to day, as well as environment, can affect our sense of smell and more so with women (especially when pregnant).

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Only had the Milan version and I do believe Milan does have a in house blender and there version is a coarse cut with some Black Cavendish while the Sutliff is a Virginia Burley ribbon cut.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
If you like the Sunset Rum by Altadis/Sutliff, you should try their Buttered Rum.
And I think that the Milan blend is different, as they have a house blend line. But I haven't tried many of their house blends. Hoping to change that someday.

Dec 9, 2013
I'm new to pipe smoking and was looking for that "all purpose" med-bodied/perceptual sweet aromatic. For me, looking for toasted marshmallows, maple, chocolate cooking all in one..maybe I'm too picky. Enjoyed the various responses. However I'm still not happy..I went to three different tobacco shops and tried their various blends, inclusive of cherry blends. All too light for me. Tried the sutliff dolce and had a great room note but one dimension in sweet taste. I'm thinking of trying various tins from Peterson but it appears they will be on light end. I thought it would be easier to find a sweet but more complex blend. Any thoughts? I guess I forget I'm smoking tobacco lol. May have to switch to English blends to find what my mouth is looking for. Lol

Wow, if Molto Dulce didn't work for you, I would suggest the lat blends.

Aromatics only slightly affect the tongue. They will have more impact on the olfactory senses of the nose. The sweet "taste" doesn't transfer through the smoke very well, but MD has a salty sweet on the tongue taste, but the rehtrohale is very sweet. Try dragging the smoke across the sinuses, by blowing out occasionally through the nose. This will also increase the nicotine hit from the tobacco also.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I would suugest working on smoking technique before disregarding a genre on tobacco.
If you want another suggestion I would say try either Solani Sweet Mystery or Peterson Connoisseur's Choice. I am primarily an aromatic smoker and those two are by far my favorite. Below them are Peterson Sweet Kilarny, CAO Eileen's Dream, CAO Moontrance, SG Firedance Flake and MB Vanilla Flake. None of what I listed will be an overly sweet taste mought feel. If that is what you are truely seeking I think you will spend much time trying to find the nuances of VA's and the like.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I keep a tin of Molte Dulce at all times, because no matter how irritated she gets with me, I can fire up that aro and she'll be on me and purring by mid bowl. I think of it as my secret weapon
HAHAHAHA, too funny
(I better get me some :rofl:)

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I keep a tin of Molte Dulce at all times, because no matter how irritated she gets with me, I can fire up that aro and she'll be on me and purring by mid bowl. I think of it as my secret weapon
+1
As awful as it is, I keep around a tin of Drew Estate Central Park Stroll for exactly the same purpose... Horrid stuff, but, it does have room note going for it. I'll have to give Molto Dolce a try after this ringing endorsement.
As far as the rums, I tend to go for the Milan version. More of an old school Aro that lets the tobacco come right on thru.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Reviving this old thread because Milan Tobacconists has their Sunset Rum on sale for the month of November.

If you enjoy rum blends this is a good one in my experience. A really delicious aromatic with really high quality base tobaccos & worth every penny.

All the Milan blends I've tried have been outstanding. Milan is one of the few true tobacconists left in the US & a real gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.