PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Growing up in the deep south, Sundays were kind of a family tradition. For the kids in the family, Sundays were a challenge. Two reasons for that. The first being church took all morning. The second that Sunday dinner, a mid day meal right after church, took most of the afternoon. On Sundays we had to wear our Sunday clothes. For us, the real fear of God experience was messing up our Sunday clothes! We had Sunday clothes and we had everyday clothes. Our Sunday clothes cost more. Our everyday clothes were more comfortable and, we didn't care so much about getting them dirty. Fairly obvious which clothes we preferred.
Now I'm all grown up (sort of anyway) and a pipe smoker. I realize I have Sunday pipes and everyday pipes. My Sunday pipes have a special rack prominently displayed in the living room. My every day pipes are kind of tossed where ever. While I don't feel the same way about my Sunday pipes that I once did my Sunday clothes, I find that I most often reach for and smoke my everyday pipes. And when finished with them, I run a pipe cleaner through them and toss them where ever.
I don't know what this says about me. Maybe I am a pipe smoker in forum full of pipe collectors. Anyone else have Sunday pipes? - bp

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'd have to say my "Sunday pipe" is the one in my Avatar.

It's a Tinsky American Calabash.

The family calls it "the ice cream dish". :D
americanstraightgrainrt-1-600x449.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Since my current collection consists of 2 Bjarnes and a bag of MM seconds, I guess the fact that I reserve my very first pipe for B&M smoking sessions (usually Friday afternoons) while I smoke the cobs at home (outside) sort of counts. :D

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
My Sunday pipe is my GBD, I won't take it out of the yard because it's special. My everyday pipes are the rest of my pipes and go on adventures with me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My Sunday pipe, a Ferndown 3 Star Bark. I look forward every Sunday morning to smoking it.
I grew up like you did bobpm. Sunday clothes and shoes were sacred stuff. My father was in the Army (retired SGM). Every Saturday, one of our chores was to polish all of his shoes and our Sunday shoes. He inspected them, then back into the closet till Sunday morning. Our Sunday morning churce went from 9 till noon (or later). We were ready to burst at the seams by the time that sermon was over (Preacher was my Grandfather, we sat in the front pew). I remember running out of the church, taking a spill and tearing a big hole in my Sunday pants. My mother was less than pleased and much less so when exactly one week later I did it again. You don't have to tell me twice and I never ran out of a church again...

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I had four Great Uncles who were circuit preachers in South Alabama and North Florida. The worst Sundays were when they were all in the same place. That was a lot of old time southern preaching! On some special Sundays, the whole bunch of us would load up and go to some church where one of the uncles were preaching. I always wanted to ride with my Grandfather. My parents were cigarette smokers. That was awful in the car. My grandfather's Carter Hall smelled wonderful to me though!

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
My Sunday pipe? Sense I'm retired, everyday is Sunday. What ever pipe that catches my eye is my Sunday pipe. Lucky little devil.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Bob:
What a wonderful story to share with everyone. I also appreciated everybody pitching in with their favorite remembrances of Sunday clothes and Sunday pipes.
I grew up south of the Mason-Dixon line and can relate all too well to your upbringing.
Thanks, pal.
Fnord

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I still get a silly warm fuzzy when I pick it up.
rothnh - yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about my Bjarne. It sits in a place of honor in front of my computer monitor, while the others have been relegated to an egg carton on the tobacco shelf (until such time as it's warm enough in the garage to undertake a proper pipe rack project). Looking forward to having a larger collection, though, so that it's "Sunday Pipes", plural, rather than just the one. :D

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd have to say my Sunday pipe is my Peterson Pipe of the Year 2011. If I know a few days in advance that I'm going somewhere I can enjoy a pipe in public I make sure to tweak the rotation so it's rested for that day.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Appreciate the responses! In looking at my opening post, I see the ever present result of trying to use my Ipad. I inherited my wife's first generation Ipad when she got whatever version she has now. I find it very hard to type on. This Sunday pipe subject has me thinking about my Sunday pipes. They are probably more what most of you would consider everyday pipes. Think I will start looking around for a more upscale estate to hold that exalted status. Good a reason as any to buy a new pipe! - bp

Status
Not open for further replies.