PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Been awhile since I posted one of these bouts. A year, maybe. But here she goes: Battle of the Virginia Flakes--
SG Full Virginia Flake vs Dunhill Flake.
In one corner we have FVF, a persnickety yet delicious example of pure Virginia goodness. In the other, we have Dunhill's Orlik offering: a more traditional looking flake with a more savory, earthy appeal compared to Orlik's other, sweeter Virginia flake offerings.
While I've had some sublime smokes of FVF, the moisture content and required prep work push my vote over to the more user-friendly and equally complex, though certainly different-tasting Dunhill Flake. Yet there are many who appreciate the character and ritual of the less uniform and more demanding FVF. and many who consider it the ultimate VA flake experience.
What say you?
This bout is scheduled for 5 full days with the winner announced Friday.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Per - to me these two fine flakes are in opposite corners of the ring. I agree with your characterizations, which are quite perceptive, though DF's subtleties don't make me think of it in terms of complexity. This is rather like comparing an aged port vs Vinho Verde: each are wonderful in their own genres.
hp

les

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
While I agree with the above statement that the two almost couldn't be more different and still be in the same category, I'm not sure where there is a contest here. FVF is exceptional. DF is merely good. FVF in a first round knockout.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Betty and Veronica from the Archie comics, Ginger and Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. SG FVF is somehow exotic, certainly more difficult to prepare and can really reward with a fabulous smoke (or not!), while Dunhill Flake is just a steady, reliable performer who gives a good smoke time in, time out. I like rich movie stars but smoke more Dunhill Flake so I guess I prefer the girl next door. Dunhill Flake for the win. But, oh boy, Ginger was hot!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I love FVF and find it an incredibly rewarding smoke. As morton has said, Dunhill Flake, by contrast, is simply a very good VA flake -- "steady" and "reliable." Nothing wrong with that at all! But if the quantities in my cellar are any indication, I'd have to give the decisive victory to FVF as my strong favorite of the two.
Bob

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
FVF is way better, the prep does require time and knowledge to get right, but well worth it! I do the whole lot at once and dry them all out before aging. I know your not really supposed to, but... I like it ready to go when I reach for it even years later. The flavors and depth are incredible in FVF, very complex; I find DF way too straight-forward and lacking in this area.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
Samuel Gawith really need to up their game - they make a fantastic product, but if they want to grow their business let's see even flakes, better packaging and a more consistent product.
I love FVF and would choose it over Dunhill Virginia Flake in a blind tasting, providing it had been dried on the side for a bit, but it always looks like it's been cut by a drunk Cumbrian stumbling in after a long lunch in the Dog and Duck.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have smoked them both and am a regular smoker of FVF. While Dunhill Flake is OK I can name at least 12 other flakes that I like better, FVF being one of them.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I do agree with Les though, it ain't a great comparison. I think BBF is way more simular to DF than FVF is. This being said I would still pick FVF over either of those two any day, I just love the rich, complex smoke. FVF is about as complex as a straight VA can possibly get, for a quick smoke, I tend to go for the Sugar Barrel mixed with a dash of Peter Stokkebye's Turkish in a cob. It gives me the natural, pure smoke I am used to with VA's, less bite, and it is a little aromatic cause of the oriental.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Ive yet to smoke FVF, though I smoke Dunhill Flake regularly. Id like to get my hands on the plug version for FVF.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Joseph, I concur. Everytime I go to order SG FVF it’s out of stock. But someday I’ll load up on it and give it a shot. Sounds like a learning curve is ahead for me with FVF.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Joseph, FVF is surely one of the best straight Virginia blends out there but the plug version is truly scrumptious!
FVF does require some airing, almost to the point of being 'dry' but not quite so, for it to smoke at its best.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.