PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Hi all,
I might have a line on some old Sullivan's (Sullivan and Powell) tobaccos in tins and I'm wondering if there are any I should grab or avoid? I don't have a list of inventory yet so I can't give any blends but I figured some of you might have experience with them.
Thanks,

Dave

May 31, 2012
I don't have any personal experience, but I'd say to get as many as you can afford to! S&P was made by Sobranie up until '81 or '82 and then Gallaher took over. Gentlemen's Mixture seems to be one of the higher regarded ones, as well as No. OX Special Mixture, more than likely the whole range is worthy in some regard...
...I wish I could give you more info but I just came on the scene fairly recent and missed out on all the grand old UK tobacco houses, only thru a retro lens do I see those mythic shelves stock'd with British, Irish and Scottish legends. I'm glad people had the foresight to "hoard" those old tins for future pipemen to experience, a truly noble act of preservation and a thrilling discovery when one finds 'em shimmering under the dust.
Congrats on yer discovery! Sounds all good!
If you haven't seen/read it, a little more can be found in the most excellent An Appendix on the dating of Sobranie Tobacco Tins by Jon Guss, a publication of the Vintages Project...

http://passionforpipes.squarespace.com/vintage-project-publications/
Cheers!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
For me, Gentleman's Mixture would be the one to grab. I had a couple of tins in the mid-1980s, and I remember it as an extraordinarly rich full-bodied smoke.
I can't imagine "avoiding" any, assuming you enjoy the constituent ingredients. I personally really treasure the times I can crack the tin of a long-gone blend and enjoy the one-time/one-tin experience.
FWIW, a single tin of Gentleman's Mixture recently sold for close to $200 on eBay. So. . . even if you may not want a particular blend, there is certainly a strong secondary market of the stuff, assuming you can acquire it for less than, say, $100/tin.
Bob

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks guys. It's still just a maybe but the seller seems like a good prospect for getting some vintage tobaccos at a reasonable price.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Does this happen to be Franz?
I want to make sure we are by dealing with the same guy, so no one steps on each others toes?

Aug 1, 2012
Chub, my source is a lady in Oregon so I don't think we are after the same pot 'o gold. Competing for things like this can really suck so I appreciate the heads-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.