Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Suggestions Needed

(8 posts)
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have rekindled my love of Latakia of late smoking a blended Pirate Kake with a light virginia deep hollow. I am looking for suggestions for a blend that I can purchase that gives me a bit of Latakia but that the wife will like the smell of. It's difficult to strike the right balance I know but I'm tired of her comparing my pipe to the woodstove. Anyone know of any good sweet smelling blends that will give me that tease of Latakia that I crave?

Thanks,

Rob

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The latakia blends that come to mind for smelling good to nonsmokers tend to have so little latakia that it's truly a condiment, not something that's going to be that pronounced for you, the smoker.

Because of how the Frogs treat latakia -- it's subjected to a cavendish process that gives it a unique flavor/aroma -- you and your wife might enjoy Frog Morton, Frog Morton on the Town, etc. These do have a lot of latakia, though, so they'll likely still give that "woodsmoke" experience. (Samuel Gawith's Perfection is very very similar to Frog Morton on the Town, but it develops some of the same flavors by adding a hint of vanilla rather than using the Basma that FMotT relies on for its vanilla-like sweetness.)

I'm a huge fan of Rattray's Jocks Mixture, which is an extremely delicious smoke. But there, the latakia is present in only the tiniest of amounts. While it's a great blend, it may not push your specific "latakia" button.

Another option might be Presbyterian Mixture, another one I really enjoy (although it needs a bit of drying-out time). It also incudes a small measure of latakia, which definitely takes a back seat to the other orientals in the blend.

Finally, I'll suggest Gawith & Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake. I love this one, and it's a delicious and rich burley/Virginia/latakia flake that gives only a hint of cocoa in the smoke (it's not "sweet" by any means). Again, the latakia is only a tiny hint far in the background. But it might work for your situation. And the smoke might be the most appealing of all of these for your wife.

Bob

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've gotten compliments when smoking Millionaire blend

http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/sterling-tobacco-millionaire-blend

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found a list of "Aromatics containing Latakia" blends on Cornell & Deihl's site the other day. Link below. List at bottom of page below their other aromatics. I haven't tried them as I am not much of a Latakia smoker, but I Have tried a few of their Aromatics and like everyone I have tried. Let us know what you think if you try one.

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/aromatic_blends.htm

Also, there was a thread about 6 months ago listing many "Crossover" blends that would fit this category. I can't seem to find it at the moment but I will post a link later if I can find it.

Edit: Found it
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cross-overs-love-em-or-hate-em-they-aint-goin-away-unique-tobacco-blend

Glenn
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Guys that's a great start! Happy Wife Happy Life and then I don't get religated to the garage this winter.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Frog Morton Cellar Blend, has a nice room note -- the latakia isn't going to blow your socks off but it's certainly evident in the taste (which has nice aromatic tones) and FMC won't have others complain about you smoking burning tree leaves in your pipe.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe is fairly easy on the Latakia, and leaves a tolerable room note.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe is fairly easy on the Latakia, and leaves a tolerable room note.

EMP is indeed easy on the latakia ... it virtually has no latakia to my taste, so I thought EMP had none, though there is apparently a sprinkle of it in there along with the orientals.

Bob Tate nailed EMP in his review here: http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco-reviews/dunhill-early-morning-pipe-pipe-tobacco-reviews/

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, the85boro, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456, cosmicfolklore, mtwaller