PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Now that I have found a some Flake tobacco that I like I would like to try out some ropes. Nicotine strength is not an issue for me. I lean toward stronger tobaccos. If there are any with Latakia that would be right up my alley.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
The only rope I've tried was sg black xx. It was fairly one dimensional but it has a nice beefy bbq flavour that is worth checking out.

A buddy of mine brought over some of that SG black XX, we all took a few puffs out of some cobs, and I about gagged. It just wasn't pleasant at all, and I thought that I really liked hefty tobaccos. I threw my cob into the fireplace. It ghosted the damn fireplace. :?
I just like there to be a tobacco flavor somewhere in the mix.
I've heard good things about the coconut rope. I think it was Harris that was touting it's flavor. Maybe talking about it will conjure that brother back up.
Edit- sorry, that was Black Irish X, not Black XX

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I smoke Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Sweet Coconut Twist, Rum Twist and Happy Bogie. I enjoy my tobacco on the robust end of the scale and I like a healthy dose of vitamin N. I smoke the coconut and rum when I am in the mood for something with a bit of sweetness on the back end. The Happy Bogie has a very natural tobacco flavor that reminds me of hay. Unfortionatly none of them have Latakia in them and I have never found a rope that has any in its blend. But I would suggest any of the G.& H. ropes.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I love SG ropes but for some reason don't smoke them very often. What works best for me is to chop up a piece in to a rough cut consistency and let it dry for awhile before packing. Most of those ropes tend to be pretty moist and oily and are a challenge to get them lit. Unfortunately I haven't tried the GH ones yet, but they are on my short list as I've found I love everything from GH I have tried so far. I am a fan SG Brown #4 and Black XX.
Rope tobaccos also offer quite a bit of versatility as well. I've found that Brown #4 ground up in to a fine powder makes a great snuff and also tastes great as a chew if you need a quick pick me up. I'm not a chewer, but curiosity got the best of me :D

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Ditto on the SG ropes they are all hearty smokes to say the least. with all of them go slow at first to prevent too big of a buzz! And msandoval858 they do chew well and they will pick you up. Makes me appreciate the robust nature of my ancestors "Welsh miners"

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I rough cut mine as well Mike. I usually cut up enough for a few bowls and throw it in a baggie. And I agree they do need to dry out more than most. I cut a small amount into a fine powder and sprinkle it on the top of the bowl to help with lighting. I have also tried them as a chewing tobacco. I believe they are intended to be dual purpose. I am not much for chewing tobacco but I do it from time to time if I am in work vehicle.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
Luckily most of the ropes I can get in bulk so I can buy 1 ounce of several to try out. I think in my next order I will add Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Rum Twist and Happy Bogie.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
lestrout is correct the brown does pack more of a punch than all of the black varieties. Happy puffing jfox hope you have a sharp knife for prep.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The brown ropes do pack a wallop. I cut them up very finely and then mix with Condor so it doesn't smell like a burning sock. On its own I have had people ask me if the electric wiring in my office was on fire!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I have only smoked happy bogie, black xx, and some GH toffee twist.
They are just okay for me. Nothing I could smoke all day. Strength is just too extreme, both in nicotine and flavor for me. I have tried chewing, but I didn't enjoy that at all. I like a very sweet chew like days o' work if I'm in that sort of mood.
I will most likely use what I have on hand to blend, as I'm not often in the mood to get kicked in the face by a horse.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You so right right bryanf. I tried chewing rope and its a disaster! If I chew I stick to Levi Garrett. I cannot get on with tea bags of tobacco because I keep wanting to chew the damned things! Anyone else on here chew and what do you like?

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
The trick to successfully enjoying a chew of rope without flooring yourself, is to go with a much smaller piece than you think you need. That tobacco is spun so compact and tight that it's more leaf than you think it is when you cut off a chunk. That plus the high octane nic content, too much can spell trouble real quickly.
I used to chew when I was younger and probably still would if my wife didn't absolutely forbid it. Lancaster was by far my favorite along with some of the Fred Stoker & Sons stuff when they were still around. I found Lancaster be one of the softest and sweetest leaf chews out there. I also enjoyed Levi Garret from time to time since all my cowboy friends I grew up with here in Texas swore by it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That makes so much sense. I would cut off maybe an inch and you are right you wind up flooring yourself. Strangely I have never had that same problem with black twist and I could never work out why. I have never tried Lancaster but I picked up my Levi Garret habit when I was down in NOLA about 15 years ago. I also used to like Jacksons Apple Jack but I have not seen that around for about twenty years and I could never get on with Red Man as it used to give me gas for some reason. Go figure! Thanks for the heads up on Lancaster

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I just placed an order for Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Black Irish X, and Sweet Rum Twist. Unfortunately they were out of stock on the Brown "Happy" Bogie. Maybe on my next order.

Status
Not open for further replies.