PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Hello all,
I have been smoking pipes for over 25 years and enjoy it immensely. However, I have lost my sense of smell due to a viral infection that attacked my nasal receptors. Unfortunately, this has really decreased my pipe smoking pleasure.
I have found that tobacco that used to taste and smell wonderful will now just seem to have a weak taste (and of course no smell). But I have found that some tobaccos that I used to think were "too strong" are now better suited to my taste.
So I am asking for your advice in selecting some "really strong tasting" tobaccos that I could find in tin form. I do enjoy aromatics as well, so nothing is off the table. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions in advance.
Cheers!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. I'll suggest what I consider to be the opposite ends of the spectrum but 2 blends that I regularly smoke. Samuel Gawith's 1792 is a strong blend that is very unique because of its use of tonquin bean. The second is Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream which has several different cuts of tobacco and a good dose of cognac. I find it to be a fantastic aro type blend without being cloyingly sweet. You'll get plenty of other suggestion here so have fun sifting through the input from others.

Jul 12, 2011
What blends had you been smoking? Do you like English blends?
Full English blends and maybe some Balkans might be the way to go here, if you like them

I would suggest;

C&D's Billy Budd, Star of the East & Crooked Lane

H&H Black house & Mag Opus

Boswell's Northwoods

NYPC's Jack's Shanty & Hell's Kitchen

L.J. Peretti's Royal or Omega

GL Pease's Odyssey
Some other blends you might also try;

SG's 1792 & Bracken

Peterson's Irish Flake

GL Pease's Sextant, JKP & Navigator

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
You might want look out for any blends that have a good dose of Perique in them. If you are in the UK then a couple of the Gauntly blends are rich on Perique.
Hope your senses return to normal in time.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
GH Louisiana Perique Flake or if you want to go all the way try their Brown Irish Twist

Status
Not open for further replies.