PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you give the topic title for your posts, please take just a minute to decide what

the main subject is and give that in the title. It isn't just a tag line so you can revisit

it. It's a menu heading so others can decide if the subject interests them. Most titles

do this. But quite a few give no clue about the actual subject, and/or just try to grab

the reader with an exclamation or mysterious phrase. Some are totally misleading,

not out of meanness, but just not taking time to state the actual subject. I think

everyone will be happier with Forums if they can get the essence of the subject from

the title.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I couldn't agree more!
Anyone that thinks they will get me to click a thread with a cryptic title is wrong.
I purposely will avoid threads with one-word, or cryptic titles. They don't deserve my time.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
You guys are a bunch of "grouchydogs" (LOL, J/K), it adds some mystery to the posts! It's a gamble, sometimes you win and it is an interesting post, sometimes you lose and you waste 2 minutes of your life reading mindless dribble.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It's a menu heading so others can decide if the subject interests them.
:clap:
I purposely will avoid threads with one-word, or cryptic titles. They don't deserve my time.
+1
I actually believe a poster will get more interest and more comments if they are as descriptive as possible in their Title.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm actually okay with folks using cryptic, idiosyncratic or obtuse thread headlines. It gives me a reason to skip those threads, I've actually managed to completely avoid quite a lot of drama by skipping over threads with headings like this.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Oh.
I thought that you were looking for suggestions for potential thread titles.
I have a few, if you want them:
"You'll Never Guess What Happened!"

"Have You Tried One Of These?"

"How Many Of You Saw This?"

"I'll Never Know, Now"

"Does This Always Happen To You?"

"if you ever did that with one of those please reply thank you"

"It Was OK, But I Think I Was Doing It Wrong"

"Problem Solved"

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown

"I'll Never Know, Now"

"Problem Solved"
:clap:
-- Pat

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Oh.
I thought that you were looking for suggestions for potential thread titles.
I have a few, if you want them:

"I'll Never Know, Now"

"Problem Solved"
+1
hahahahaha, nice woodsroad. Yeah i try to be as specific as possible for the most part, but ocassionally someone will intrigue me with a vague as hell thread title and curiosity will get the best of me. Usually clicking on said thread is quickly followed by mentally pondering to myself, "oh, this again", "probably should have used the search function", or "wow, there was pretty much the exact same discussion 6 threads up, and i knew that because IT SAYS SO IN THE THREAD TITLE". Not a day breaker, but can get a little old after a while for sure. :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you can occasionally be witty and even cryptic, if you like, and still state the topic.

My Restored Peterson, Wait Until You See. Okay, it's about a restored Peterson, but you

have to see it to believe it. And so on. But give me a hook, please. Otherwise, I'm

prepping for one thing and get something else, and I feel cheated even if I really end up

liking the post a lot.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"But Give Me A Hook, Please"

There's a great title you have right there, MSO.
Follow up thread:

"She Warned Me And It Was Worth It"

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm actually okay with folks using cryptic, idiosyncratic or obtuse thread headlines. It gives me a reason to skip those threads, I've actually managed to completely avoid quite a lot of drama by skipping over threads with headings like this.
pruss makes a pretty good point! Also annoying to me are the "I'm Outta Here" threads, though to be fair we're still getting mileage out of the Sinister Six; best post that guy ever made :)

Dec 24, 2012
This is great.
From now on whenever I want to take a shot at Pat/Brian, I will come up with some obtuse thread title that he will skip because he just doesn't like to be bothered figuring out what a thread is about. Excellent.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
This is great.
From now on whenever I want to take a shot at Pat/Brian, I will come up with some obtuse thread title that he will skip because he just doesn't like to be bothered figuring out what a thread is about. Excellent.
Shit. I thought that's what you were doing already.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Kevin, cryptic thread titles usually don't get my attention (and I possibly miss out on a good thread!). I figure if it really is interesting, it will stay on the hot topics list. Cut to the chase with an effective thread title - please!

Status
Not open for further replies.