New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've usually avoided latakia blends, since I had one of the Froggy blends split my tongue with bite. I couldn't smoke for a week after that experience. But, I've recently found that I love Ashbury of GL Pease's Fog City Series. It's described as a light Balkan blend of Virginia, small leafed orientals, and Cyprus Latakia.

It has an almost incense like aroma, but very light, and makes a great all day smoke. I stocked up on a few tins, but I would love to explore this genre of Lat blends a little more. Can anyone suggest either another light Balkan that might have some of the light and smooth qualities? In either tin or bulk?
Thanks!

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
You can't go wrong with McCllend 5110 dark English full. A great Balkan blend. Smooth and sweet.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
You had one of the Frogs bite you? Wow, I can't imagine getting tongue bite from one of them!

Anyway, I'd suggest The McC 5110 Dark English as well. Also, McC 2030 Grade 1. Balkan, and H&H Black House. All three of these are quality blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hm. I am assuming that by "light" you mean "light on the latakia"? I am quite fond of H&H Larry's Blend, and Altadis Balkan but I would not consider either one a light Balkan. (H&H Black House definitely is not light.)
You might try McClelland's Yenindje Highlander.

Thank you,

I may be using the term "Balkan" wrong, but it is how it is described on the tin. All of the "Fog City" blends by Pease favor a light mix on the Virginia, with the Virginias stepping forward on the palate. Ashbury is more like a light Balkan for the Virginia fan, IMO. I like it, but it's not a part of my everyday rotation. But, I was just wondering what might be out there with similarities.
Yes, when I was a few months into the pipe, I tried the original FM as well as EMP and a bulk blend that was just labelled Old English. I really liked the taste at first, but at first I noticed that if I smoked a lat blend, it ruined my whole mouth for the day and had to break from the pipe altogether. Then after a few of the FM bowls in one day, my tongue cracked. My tobacconist and I speculated that it might have been the burlys or the lat, but I wasn't having issues at the time with burly heavy aros, so...
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone might recommend. I will make a list of these and drop by my briary after work to check these out. Thanks!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'm pretty familiar with Ashbury and the GL Pease range in general, so let me suggest a few Pease tins worth trying if you like Ashbury.
Piccadilly: lots of Virginias with pinches of both perique and latakia.

Chelsea Morning: Virginias with sprinklings of orientals, latakia, and perique. To me, this is the benchmark for a light latakia mixture.

Lombard: something a little goofier for VA fans who want just a tick of latakia with a bunch of bright VAs and perique. Such an underrated blend to me.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Chief Catoonah's Princes Street Blend, available in tin or bulk. I keep plenty on hand. It is not Latakia heavy, and has a touch of sweetness without being overpowering. Was the 2012 John Cotton Throwdown winner. The Peoples Choice award went to Lane's LEO blend, but that is tinned only, as far as I know. I like the LEO, but it is slightly sour to the Princes Street sweetness.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Have you tried Sutliff Private Stock Bosphorus Cruise? I find it a pleasing smoke. I also smoke Nightcap, but for me it's an occasional short smoke. Bosphorus I can smoke regularly and in a larger pipe. I like that it has no Perique, so it's more sweet than tangy to the taste, and the Latakia level is just right for me.

Thanks guys, I am making my list... and of course it's the time of year to check it twice. I did pick up some Chelsea Morning. So far, everything Pease has mixed has been a blessing to my taste buds. However, I will pick up a few of the others suggested to continue the journey. Some however, I have smelled enough burning in the Briary to know that I might sidestep those. But, all recommendations are appreciated.

I don't see making a Balkan an all day or every day for me, because I am very much in love with the Va/VaPer genre, but I do like to give my taste buds something new to chew on occasionally. Thanks again, gentlemen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed Altadis Bulkan II; I don't think it had any Latakia, but it's been a while.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You might enjoy Sunjammer and Mt Marcy, both from H&H. Just the other day I smoked Altadis Balkan I & II, and I liked I better than II. I found it to be a little more oriental forward.

wingsfan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
I am a fan of Peter Stokebeyes Balkan Supreme, I've been smoking it for a couple months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.