PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I know that Prince Albert and Carter Hall are extremely popular drugstore tobaccos, but what are your opinions on Sugar Barrel?
There is something about the descriptions I've read that make it seem more enticing than almost every other OTC blend I've ever heard about. A no-nonsense burley with some pleasant sweetness. Aromatic notes of brown sugar, oatmeal cookies, but with a real tobacco flavour. Do you folks who've tried this brand find that description to be accurate? Do you think it tastes, smells, and burns good or would you rather leave it behind?
There are mixed reviews to be found online, but a very high proportion of those are well-written glowingly positive ones. I trust all of your opinions more. Hope to hear a few voices on the subject! I'm probably going to order 2oz on my next order just so I can make a personal judgment on the matter. Being a devoted cob smoker, I hope Sugar Barrel won't let me down in my Country Gentleman.
Thanks, guys!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I've tried it. I didn't think too much of it though. It just seemed to lack much flavor, or aroma.

Buying a couple ounces is smart. If you find you like it, let me know. I can send you an almost full tub of it free of charge.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like it and always have a tub on hand. As far as I know it is available only in a tub.

Kevin,it is a Middleton product,been around for a good many years.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I used to smoke it back in the day when I went to public places.

The room note was attractive to young ladies, which was my intention.

It bit me like a dog, but served my purpose.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Despite the name....which I dislike...I think Sugar Barrel is a really nice "codger burley"....It has become one of my regular smokes in a MM cob. I like the taste and it hasn't been a bite problem for me..... :D

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. And Max, I really appreciate that offer - I'll let you know!

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Hey, I remember Sugar Barrel when it was sold in the box like the other drug-store brands.

I think it had a picture of a barrel on the box and I can remember buying some way back when I was old enough to smoke and too young to have much sense (some things never change). I just can't recall how it tasted. Same with Rum & Maple.

Back then I was mostly a Cherry Blend guy. Who cared how it tasted, how it burned or if it had a bite?

Cherry Blend smelled great and that's all I cared about. (That was many years before the term "room note" was coined.)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As I recall it is a cube cut blend so it should work well in a cob. Go slow with it because it can bite. Like cornguy, I remember it being packaged in an aluminum packet in a cardboard box. It is a classic drug store blend. When compared to today's offerings you'll see jsut how far the pipe tobacco blending art has come.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm very interested in trying it. If it's not my cup of tea, no big deal - it just sounds very appealing and there is something to be said for simplicity at times. I'd like to find an inexpensive smoke for occasions when I don't have the time to sip and savour outside in the cold for an hour and a half - it feels like I'm wasting pricey, hard to come by blends at times like that. I've been bitten many times before, but not since I've started trying higher quality tinned blends - if you smoke them at a decent pace, you're bound to be alright. I'll report back on my thoughts of Sugar Barrel in a few weeks when my order arrives.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
You got me wanting to try it! I've been on the look out for some after having read this forum topic, but I just can't seem to find any around here. I may have to order some anyone have some suggestions on where the best place to order from? Because I've noticed that there can be big differances on price and shipping between etailers!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Take a look at Country Doctor if you like drug store blends. Not a bad one if you can find it. The Sutliffe blends are comparable to some of the classic old time blends. Check them out at www.tobaccoreviews.com

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
oldjazzlover,
You can get a 12oz can for $26.95 from 4noggins. They also sell 2oz bulk for $6.29 - something to consider for sampling purposes. Not every etailer sells the old drugstore blends. If you have a variety of tobaccos to order, it's free Priority Mail shipping in the US over $99. I don't know if that's cost effective to you but I wish I could take advantage of that offer up here in Canada!

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Sugar Barrel had an icky aftertaste (like Granger and a few others) that I did not like.
I threw the rest of the sample out.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Jimbo,
I've seen plenty of mixed reviews, seems like it's a polarizing blend. A nice few people seem to swear by it - enough to make me curious. The only burley I've tried was Moe's Confetti and I like that decently. I'm going to order some Sugar Barrel anyway and also some Prince Albert just to see if I buy into the appeal of the old codger tobaccos. My TAD list is so long it takes a dog's age to get around to placing orders for all I want to try - I wish I could just walk into a gas station or supermarket like you folks and pick up a pouch of PA for curiosity's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.