PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
My pipe shank cracked due to no apparent reason when I was pulling the stem out.
But that's not the problem anymore as I read some threads here and seem to managed to fix it.
The problem is that I seem to have used a little too much glue, and now it has dripped into the bowl.
I managed to remove most of the dry glue using a scraper, but there is still a very little quantity there which won't go out.
I'm thinking of using a cotton swab dripped in acetone to dissolve it. Or should it be smokable this way?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’ve read from a few reputable sources that super glue is not suitable for any part of a pipe that gets hot, as it releases dangerous fumes when heated. You may want to double check the safety of using that glue in or around the bowl.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'd be careful if I were you, the housekeeper using some cleaning product on your pipe, now a cracked stem ... trouble comes in threes... just sayin. 8O

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'd be careful if I were you, the housekeeper using some cleaning product on your pipe, now a cracked stem ... trouble comes in threes... just sayin. [8O]
I've been thinking of putting this pipe to rest and buying another...
I mean, it seems to have bad luck around it. I know I didn't treat it so well early on, burned its rim etc. but after I started taking good care of it, awful things started to happen to it (?).
Doesn't make quite a lot of sense.
It seems to be cursed or something.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
By the way, the only way to remove the glue was to fill it with acetone to dissolve it. I'm praying it didn't ruin it forever.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I smoked it for the first time (Captain Black) since the acetone treatment and rum cleaning.
Didn't taste bad. It's actually pretty tolerable. I will see if it improves (gets sweeter) with next few smokes as cake forms.
If it keeps tasting mediocre, I may give it up for good.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
OK, the pipe is smoking great again.
The only issue is that the stem is a bit "loose" (but still fits in nicely) due to the previous cracked shank.
I think I'll continue to smoke it since I've read here in PipesMagazine that Super Glue outside of the bowl isn't harmful for health.
I'd call that a warrrior's pipe.
If some sh*t occurs again though, I'm definitely retiring the warrior's pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.