PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have been offered a tin of one or the other and honestly cannot make up my mind. The reviews of Quiet nights make me lean to picking it but FMC seems to be more popular. Any thoughts?

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Do you have a preference between C&D (GLP) and McClelland? If so, go with the blender you prefer.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I would be willing to get. McCllelland tattoo. But none of the Frog series trips my trigger. I'd go with Quiet Nights

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Both are excellent blends. I'm a fan of Quiet Nights, but you won't be disappointed with FMC either. Hard choice, either way you choose hit me up and I'll send you a sample of the one you didn't pick.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Nights is darker with nice thick smoke

FMC is a good smoke can be a hint of sweet with smokey

For me it's a what I'm in the mood for when I pick between the two like coffee or tea I like both it's just what am I in the mood for most

You can't go wrong with either to be honest they are both good tobacco

Pick what ever and maybe I'll trade you for something I have you might like more haha

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm personally not the biggest GLP fan but a huge McClelland's fan so I would say FMC.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Hardly subjective, it's a fact of human nature and the food industry. Add sugar, and it sells.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2013-2014/the-secrets-of-sugar
Quiet Nights is a respectable English-Balkan: along with others in my daily rotation... several Esotericas, Special Latakia Flake, Pelican, Balkan Sobranie (old or new), a couple/three Seattle Pipe Clubbers, and my everyday LJPeretti birding blends.
Frog Morton is a trick-of-the trade product. Sure, I was a fan of FMs at first. But the more I got into traditional Lat-forward blends, the more I was turned off by the syrupy sweetness of The Frog in all its variations.
Aquadoc, if I'm headed out into the cedarglades for the day -- I'm taking Quiet Nights!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
SnowyOwl, I do not know what you are doing in the Glades but if you ever need a hand, let me know. And regarding the tobacco, ultimately, I did not have to make the choice, he threw in both as part of a trade.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's hard to beat the Dark Lord on his own own turf of the dark smoky weed. About two years ago I fell in love with latakia and during this time I smoked a number of such blends, "Quiet Nights" and "Nightcap" among them , and my favorites in the end. I don't remember with any exactness why I found QN so very good, but I could say that it had a very dark, almost brooding quality. Its was longer ago still that I smoked any "Frog Morton," which although good did not cause me to recollect the glory of Mr. Pease's creation.
I had a similar experience with "Gaslight."

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
Two very different blends. I can't say I've smoked more than two bowls of either but I am very familiar with many Pease blends and the Frog Morton series.
Pease English blends are for me quintessentially English; what I mean by that is that they feel at home along side older Dunhill, Rattay's, SG and Germain English mixtures and are rarely more than lightly sweet. There are few Pease English blends I haven't enjoyed and Westminster is possibly the finest tobacco of any sort that I have ever smoked. My admittedly poor recollection of QN is that is is on form for the blender. If traditional English/Balkans are your thing, this is your choice.
Frog Morton Across the Pond and On The Bayou are some of my favorite tobaccos but in general I think of the Frogs as crossover blends that bridge the gap from aromatics and lean heavily towards English. ATP was the blend that moved me away from aromatics and I still enjoy it from time to time. OTB is in my top 5 favorites though I struggle to think of it as a Balkan because it isn't what I would consider a traditional Balkan. I love it just the same.
While I find the original Frog extremely monochromatic I really enjoyed the few bowls of FMC I smoked (even purchased a few tins). I don't like tobacco that's too sweet early in the morning so this is the type of thing I gravitate towards after lunch or dinner as a desert smoke. It's not overwhelming sweet, but its definitely more sweet than traditional English blends.
If sweet and aromatic are your thing FMC would be a great tobacco to try that contains traditional English components. If you like traditional English but get the occasional sweet tooth and don't do straight Virginias, absolutely. I would think the room note would be a crowd pleaser; I get complements from people who hate tobacco when I smoke OTB.
Hope this helps.

Mar 1, 2014
Get whichever one you haven't tried yet.

They're both top notch blends.
In my research it turned out that Quiet Nights is one of the most popular Lat-Bombs that Pease makes.

It's definitely good, though maybe not much different from other good Latakia heavy blends.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Aquadoc, that is the sort of question only you can answer. You will get fans of both blends claiming you should chose that particular blend over the other but where does that get you?
As stated, it is so subjective.
I would suggest reading the reviews of both on Tobaccoreviews.com and then decide based upon what aspects of each blend most appeals to you.
Regards,
Jay.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Jay, I did not have to choose. My friend sent me both as part of a trade. Apparently he sent me a lot of other things too that are set to arrive today. I have too many guitars and his gave up the ghost so I traded an old Guild M-20 for a few things and he bought me some tobacco as part of the deal. I have no idea what all he had sent to me other than those 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.