PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Hello Forum Members:
I would like to collect some sub-scale versions of full size pipes. I mean well-proportioned, reproductions of full size, regular, ordinary, conventional shape, briar pipes, only approximately half-scale. Not novelties, not weed-pipes, not cigarette holder-pipes, or, "nose-warmers"....but sub-scale reproductions of pipes that look like Charatan, James Upshall, etc. and made like a full-size pipe with removable vulcanite/acrylic stems, total overall length, about 3-1/2" - 4", nice grain, etc.
Do you know where I can find these kind of pipes, or direct me to someone who makes pipes this size? Web searches for "mini pipes" yield little, but lead to hash-pipes, bongs, and paraphernailia used by pot-heads, and stoners. Not what I want or need.
Thanks for any help.
Frank

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I've seen photos of a very few famous sets of miniature pipes. One was made for Sasieni (by Paul Jeannin) and another for Dunhill (by Gaston Dessertine, it's presumably in the Dunhill museum), but these were unique curiosities not full production items. My guess is you could find a modern carver willing to take it on, but not cheaply.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since it would be approximately as expensive to make miniature replicas of full-size pipes as to make the pipes themselves, and since the demand would be minimal, I think these items would be custom made and very pricey. The cost of the briar would be considerably less, though a carver might have to look for exceptionally tight grain to have it look to scale. But extra tools would be needed to work small. Likewise, if one expected actual airways that would never be used, that would raise the price even more. I think you are looking for a rare item indeed.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Tom Eltang makes mini versions of his poker, tubos and Arne Jacobsen styles. I've seen them listed at The Danish Pipe Shop. They are pretty much what you're describing. Mini working versions of their bigger counterparts. Very nice but very pricey.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Gentlemen,
Thank-you for the quick, but disappointing, make that...eye opening.... answers. I had a funny feeling if these mini-pipes were around, I'd have seen them on e-Bay, or for sale, or in pipe collections, etc.
I once, a looooong time ago, owned a very small, perfectly made briar pipe with a Billiard-style bowl, about 3/4" diameter at the top rim.....the whole pipe couldn't've been more than 4" long. Never seen one of these pipes since, and somehow lost the original. Wish I still had it, and didn't treat the little pipe as a novelty item. When you're young, you're dumb. Everything replaceable, and good times never end. The joke was on me.
I'll keep my eyes open, but I will probably never find another sub-scale pipe again.
Thanks for your help.
Frank

Oct 7, 2016
Castello Castellanos fit the bill. Group One Dunhills might be close. Castello also makes some k size range pipes that are intentionally smaller than the usual k size. I have one such billiard that is exactly the same dimensions as an 1103 Dunhill presently in stock at Al Pascia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For small bowl pipes, though not mini replicas, EWA makes a responsible line at very moderate prices, featured by Iwan Ries. These are good French pipes.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I got a Yello Bole 4 inch bulldog for 25 from WV Smokeshop. Good ten minute smoke, actual Briar

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know about models of that sort, but these are much smaller than normal scale:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/your-three-smallest-pipes#post-1058397

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Many, many thanks for suggesting alternative options regarding sub-scale pipes. I got some hunting to do.
Thanks for the leads.
Frank
BTW....just bought a "Micro", half-bent briar pipe off eBay. Just a little larger than a BIC lighter. A short 'n quick smoker for sure.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I have made a few. A bent Billiard, a bent Dublin, and a straight Billiard. All just at 4" long. If you want to go smaller I have a 5/8" chamber bit now and can make makes that are easily smaller than what I have made in the past. They'll even come with handcut stems. ;-)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have made a few. A bent Billiard, a bent Dublin, and a straight Billiard. All just at 4" long. If you want to go smaller I have a 5/8" chamber bit now and can make makes that are easily smaller than what I have made in the past. They'll even come with handcut stems. ;-)
sumusfumus, this is an offer I'd pursue if I was serious. Scottie Piersel is a superb carver.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What he said.
I'd also guess that a number of carvers would be game if you specified dimensions, style, etc, at near or at full sized pipe prices. (Almost as much work as reg. size)

Status
Not open for further replies.