PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olemissrebel

Lurker
Aug 28, 2013
Laurel, MS
I have an issue with one of my new briar pipes. I have smoked it for about a month and having a serious problem removing the stem. I can put it in the freezer and remove it. I just want a permanent fix. I mean this stem is seriously tight!! Should I lightly sand the shank or the stem? Suggestions please!!

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Have you tried a bit of wax first to see if that helps? I would use the sanding as a last resort and see how it is during the dryer months. You can't add material back on again. It will eventually wear in a bit with friction over time.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
If its that tight then yes, I WOULD. I would sand it. But just beware. It goes quicker than you think. Take your time and go slowly.

olemissrebel

Lurker
Aug 28, 2013
Laurel, MS
In Mississippi there are no dry months! LOL It is extremely humid year around; although, it is a bit less humid in the winter....maybe!!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Then take some 600 grit paper, wrap it around the tenon, and go around once, check the fit, twice, check the fit. Should not necessitate a third pass. Easy does it.

Jan 8, 2013
I personally wouldn't sand it. I'd be too afraid to mess it up and have to have a stem replacement done. I would probably just pop it in the fridge for a bit to loosen the stem. If it's humid, I believe that could be playing a big part on why the stem is so tight. What happens if you sand it down and then when the weather is dry, it's too loose?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
You could always swell the shank or the tenon if it works itself loose later. But that complicates the answer. There are too many variables in the equation.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have sanded a stem with Micro-Mesh before with no issues. Also graphite(pencil lead) works well for a slightly tight stem. Go very slow on the sanding as suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.