PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Alright well my method of cutting and rubbing out failed me today with a mid bowl draft hole plug. I started out with a great draw then just a light tamp ended that smooth smoke. So this leads me to this question how does everyone prep the kake? I have heard many ways one is with a sharp knife cutting horizontal making long flakes and either rubbing out or prepping like a flake. Another is my method and it's just cut layers and rub out.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It sounds like you're describing Plugs more than Kakes, to me.
With a "Krumble Kake" style tobacco, you can just tear off a chunk and rub it out.
Plugs, on the other hand, need to be sliced and then rubbed or cubed.
What I like to do with plugs is cut 1/8 inch slices (Flakes) and then cube cut them.
Give the cubes more drying time than you would for a ribbon / shag.
Lastly, try gravity packing with a very light tamp after the char ... works great with cube cut.
What are you smoking? How long are you drying? What type of pipe?
Best of Luck and Happy Puffing! :puffy:

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I cut a flake and rub it out.
If you get clogged, without taking the stem off, use a pipe cleaner on the stem and you can keep smoking. Works for gurgles, too.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Cobguy it is c&d pirate kake and in a heavy rusticated tomato. I left it out to dry for a day prior to packing. I smoked this again in my no name Dublin and I just gravity filled with a gentle tamp. This smoked wonderfully no issues.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah, Pirate Kake. My second favorite. I just bust up and rub out the entire brick and jar it. Pack it a little looser than ribbons, and make sure to put the larger pieces like a nest in the bottom of the bowl to prevent blockages.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Also, I think the plugging-up phenomenon is just incidental, easily cleared with a pipe cleaner in most cases. The nest building strategy is the best, but even without that, this isn't going to happen with every bowl, or every tenth bowl, any more than with loose tobacco, which can also plug the airway. It's an annoyance, but not really a problem, I think.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah I usually do a pipe cleaner but I was driving and didn't have one available. Hmm leaving pipe cleaners in my car problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.