PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

motownmick

Lurker
Aug 21, 2011
Can anyone suggest some strong (meaning high nicotine) baccies that are VA-, particularly burley-based, not Latakia or Oriental blends, and non-aromatic, that would appeal to someone coming from roll-your-own (RYO) cigarettes?
I am following the advice in an article written by Steve Fallon, "Good-Bye Cigarettes, Hello Pipe", an article that was originally published in The Pipe Collector, the North American Society of Pipe Collectors newsletter (see http://www.pipedia.org/index.php?title=Good-Bye_Cigarettes,_Hello_Pipe!). He gives lots of tips on making the transition, and I hold a great deal of credence in much of what he says because I actually thought of many of the same things on my own in my process of transition before I read the article, which seem to be working for me.
He suggests trying to find blends that are high in nicotine yet light enough for all-day puffing. He suggests Dunhill's Royal Yacht and Orlik's Golden Slices, which I haven't tried yet, and the drugstore brands Prince Albert and Half & Half, both of which I've tried. He was right about the latter, it is strong, but I like it so-so. PA is OK, but I think it is mild. In fact, it is so mild, it was actually one of the first pipe baccies I used for RYO after the SCHIP law made the RYO baccies I smoked prohibitively expensive. I actually liked it better as an RYO baccie, so that's not a good one for me either!
What do people here think about Latakia, Oriental? He thinks these are too heavy on the palette to be enjoyed as an "all-day" smoke, and too low in N. I loved Stokkebye's Proper English, which has some Oriental, but it was kind of low in N., I thought, so maybe he was right.
What about Perique? One that I love, which was also one I experimented with as a RYO, is McClelland's 2015 (VA Flake), which is a VaPer blend. I love it in a pipe or cigarette, and it seems to have enough N. for me.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
First Responders... Nice and nutty tasting and for my personal chemistry, packs a moderate whallop. Good stuff.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I find that Bulls Eye Flake has a bit of kick to it and it fits your description. It was one of my first baccy's I liked when I started out with a pipe. I smoked nails for 25+yrs, the last 10 of which was YRO and when smoking it I never felt as though I wasn't getting my fix.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I though Freburg and Treyer's Golden Mixture was pretty high in nicotine, and non-aromatic. Threw me for a loop!

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
well i smoked butts for 30+years and half&half worked ok for me but lately I have tried Haddos Delight and I will be getting a pound of that for an all day smoke. I also am likeing Riverboat Gambler.I love bowlegged bear but the wife cant stand it so it is saved for times when i really want a cig. It has a real nice nic kick to it Early Morning Pipe is also one of my go to smokes not real high nic but it will take the edge off
these are my nic smokess. i smoke many other blends as well trying to lower my nic dependace and develope my palate hope this helps

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
strong VA would be irish flake i believe but i dont know if its strong because of the nicotine.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
SG's 1792 is as strong as it gets. The tonquin bean addition makes it very interesting. Its been called a "love it or hate it" blend. I happen to like it a lot. The nic hit is considerable. Should be smoked while sitting down.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=1&TID=1004

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
If you're not overly strict about composition, Peterson's Irish Flake (burley, Kentucky, Virginia) is guaranteed to make your head spin. Ranks near the strongest SG offerings IMHO. 8O

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
SG 1792 Flake is quite possibly the most intense tobacco I have ever smoked. Stronger by far than Bow-Legged Bear, and Five Brothers for me YMMV.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Im still trying to kick the habit. I smoke one when I wake up in the morning and another for lunch. Almost there. Peterson Irish Flake is a strong tobacco. Not sure about the nicotine. I believe if I lit a bowl in the morning though I would'nt want a cigarette.

Jul 12, 2011
Peterson UF, Dunhill Flake or SG Bracken/1792 are the norm with my AM coffee these days and a nice NIC blast to get the day going :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A strong blend is Daughters & Ryan's Picayune which RYO'ers might have some familiarity with.

It has Burley, Va., Perique and oriental tobaccos in the blend. A good shag blend, but too strong for me.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would suggest either SG 1792 or perhaps SG Kendal Flake. Both have a good nicotine wallop.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
PS Norweigan or PS Danish these are mixtures . Rattrays Marlin Flake and Hal o' the Wynd ,VA with a kiss of perique that will tame any nic craving in a New York minute .

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I’ll pick three suggestions (one in your post) that have been described as having high nicotine levels. I've smoked many bowls of Samuel Gawith’s 1792, Peterson’s Irish Flake and Dunhill’s Royal Yacht. Royal Yacht is the only one that the nicotine affects me and would be my recommendation for you to try.
Let us know what you discover

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
With all the talk of SG 1792, I only have to say good luck finding it. I've seen it once, and I regret not picking it up. And I have not seen any sites put up any SG blends for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.