PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Got a sample of Tabac Manil Semois a few weeks ago. Jarred up the ounce or so, haven't touched it since. Just opened it up for a Newbie Review, and it smells like ammonia...
Doesn't look rotten or moldy. What's up?

Jun 4, 2014
Fermenting tobacco has an ammonia smell, sound like good things are happening. Back during the cigar boom when they couldn't box them up fast enough it was not uncommon to open a box of cigars and have them reek of ammonia.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah it's just a natural byproduct of fermentation, nothing to worry about, but not ready to smoke

Reactions: jbn951

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Coming from cigars, I thought it might be an aging thing, just seemed weird with the pipe stuff! Thanks guys!

Sounds like there was still some green left in the leaf. My experience in sweating tobacco, is that as the leaf ages the ammonia is pushed out. The ammonia in Virginias is then replaced with a vinegary smell. All Virginias have gone through at least three sweats before we get it.

I have less experience with burleys and sweats. But, maybe it was something similar. Let the jar air out occasionally. It can sour the batch, if it is similar to Virginias.
My Semois, has never had an ammonia odor. But, it usually comes ultra dry in a paper cube. I always just put it in a jar when it arrives also.

Reactions: jbn951

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
That is the out-gassing of all the little bacteria taking a shit all over your fine tobacco. The stinkier it is, the more bacterial shit you are smoking! Smoke that shit!

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
All BS. Somebody sprayed it down with Lysol to prevent mold. Hey, sounds good !:)

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
This is quite common in nasal snuff as well. A little airing out until the aroma dies down is enough in my opinion.

The new anti-fungal...

Mr._Clean_logo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.