PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I a few briar pipes and this is the first time I've experienced this. The tobacco sticks to the bowl a lot. So much so that the walls of the bowl are no longer smooth. This pipe has the pre carbonized coating but I've had other pipes I've started with it applied and never had the walls of the pipe get so strangely coated with irregular bumps. I've lt the pipe sit once before cleaning the bowl and some of the tobacco flakes were so attached to the walls that I had to dig and scrape with a great amount of effort just to remove them from the bowl.
The tobacco I smoke in this is black frigate and nothing else. I've smoked black frigate in my other pipes and this doesn't occur so I'm wondering if the coating used is different than the norm. This is a Hearth & Home pipe.
I don't think it's going to be a problem or anything, it just makes me curious why this would happen with one particular pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess the formulation of the coating in the bowl is the cause. Whether this is an unintended quirk, or whether this is an intentional enhancement of cake-building would be my question. I am someone who prefers to maintain just a thin carbon coating and no cake at all. I don't own a reamer. I scoop and wipe out the bowls after every smoke. I have 30/40 year old pipes that are doing fine and have never been reamed. So this would not appeal to me. People who want to build cake might be encouraged by this instant development of a cake-like surface, so it is all what music you dance to. I prefer no coating at all, when I can get it. Usually, pipes come with a coating, but none have ever caused this uneven surface.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke Black Frigate, ALOT. In the pipes that I smoke it in, have never seen any sort of accumulation like that. I do however let all of my tobaccos air out over night, and crumble cakes get rubbed into small pebbles before I load them.

Status
Not open for further replies.