Strange Looking pipe on eBay, Never Seen one before??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I've never seen this shape or style of pipe..I'm not bidding, I just thought it's a strange shape?? Seems like the draw would be kinda weird since the stem is above the bowl??
Strange Pipe

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Whew! That is one ugly old cuss! I'm glad you aren't bidding, that pipe needs Al.
But somebody loved it do death; there has to be some kind of mechanics inside to give it a good smoke. Mysterious.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Whoever buys that pipe will certainly possess a one-of-a-kind . . . thankfully!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
The shape is not that uncommon, but I think it was sort of a "joke". Hey, look at me and my upside down pipe. I've probably seen a dozen of them.

The ones I've seen were drilled through the top of the shank at an angle down to the bottom of the bowl, then the hole in top was plugged. I dont know if I explained that clear, but yeah it should smoke ok.

This particular pipe looks like its had a real rough life !

I'd keep looking if you want one. I know one I had was a Medico so theres got to be others out there.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
PurismePipe.jpg

Google imaged this and it came from :worship: Hobie1dog's album... :D

Man PM.com members are cool!

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
It's a Dawes Underslung, named after General George Dawes, who smoked one all the time. He was Vice President of the U.S. from 1925 to 1929. They have an inner bowl with a draw hole on the bottom, so they are somewhat similiar to a calabash in design. In over 50 years of pipe smoking I have never seen one, except in either a pipe book or magazine and on Ebay a month or so ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.