PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I had this pipe coming in the post today. This is what they called "Cultured Meerschaum," that is, this is neither "block" nor "pressed" meerschaum. Don't ask me how they managed to do it (this is a trade secret), but, basically, they just cultivate/grow sepiolite out of its chemical components/constituents. The final product seems to smoke as good as block meerschaum, will discolour as time passes by, and they claim it takes up to 2 years for the compound to set in and fully form as smokable meerschaum. They claim the came up with this idea due to block meerschaum being prohibited for exportation purposes in Austria. It seems that by doing this they save money on the production line without compromising on quality. My only complaint is that the bowl seems to be quite big (23mm) but I have tested it with loose tobacco and it seems to smoke perfectly fine. If you like flake tobacco like I do, just look for smaller bowls. I highly recommend these pipes.
strambach_zpsx5yu2qyg.jpg

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Strambach in Austria has quite a name when it comes to Meerschaum! I have two of these pipes and they smoke quite nice. Unfortunately on one the shank developed a crack... :roll:

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
I might be too late with answer here, but i might aswell try to shed some light to this matter. As far as i know, there are basically two types of meerschaum used in pipe making. One, better, is block meer, mined in Turkey mostly. Other is pressed meerschaum, basically a meerschaum dust combined with some resin as a binding agent. Pressed meer is inferior to block in many aspects, its biggest flaw being degradation from moisture. I have smoked both, block and pressed, and i did't see any difference in taste, dryness and smoke coolness, but i did witness moisture degradation on my gourd calabash bowl. Strambach makes pipes for what they say is cultured meerschaum. Its neither pressed nor block, but its much closer to block. Somehow, they found a way to culture pure meerschaum in lab and make something that is almost block. It should smoke same as block without any flaws pressed meer has. I haven't had a chance to try it, though.

Anyway, i hope this helped a bit.

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thanks for the info posaydal.

I'm currently looking at getting a Strambach smooth bent billiard pipe and was curious to know if anyone else has had any issues with this brand. From what I've seen so far there have been no real negatives, so I'm just checking into the brand before making the purchase. Thanks.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Here's the eBay store where I got my Strambach Dublin recently, so lots of shapes/styles to look at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sneelocks?_dmd=1&_nkw=Strambach
My Dublin is also a fairly big bowl pipe. The seller lists the bowl inside and outside diameters for each.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I bought the Strambach Meerschaum I was looking at the other night and it arrived today. Being that I only live about 30-40 minutes drive time from the seller it only took 1 day to get here. Which was really nice. I to bought mine from Sneelocks as well. It looks like a very nice pipe, and I can't wait to smoke it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
What is the saliva test? I'm not familiar with that or at least I don't recognize that term. As for mine I just got it today and haven't done anything with it other than open the package.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Spit on your finger ( or you could just use your tongue) and put it inside the bowl. If it sticks, it is block meer. If it kind of slides around it is pressed meer.
You should do that in several places like the inside of bowl, outside of bowl and shank..I'm curious to know the results.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Yes, I've heard of that, just didn't recall it as the saliva test.

As the original post discusses, and from what I've read Strambach meerschaums aren't block meerschaum, but they're not pressed meerschaum either. They use cultured meerschaum which is a different process from the pressed meerschaum, but I'm not sure what all goes into the process. From what I've read Strambach pipes are suppose to smoke like block meerschaum pipes, but I guess I'll have to decide for myself once I load up my new pipe and give it a go.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I've been looking at these pipe closely, and would be very interested to hear if their claim holds up - anyone own a Strambach and a Turkish meer? Do you discern a difference in the quality of material?

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Here's my Strambach Dublin. This Strambach is sticky, inside and out -- saliva-tested.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Mine is an acrylic stem, and has a tenon that inserts into the mortise (push/pull). The draft hole looks small and I thought it might be restricted, but I lit mine up tonight for the first time and the draw was easy and smooth.
After a couple bowls through it I have no complaints. Smokes very well, is cool and dry and has a nice draw. I'm very pleased with mine.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,
These are not a nature meerschaum.as stated in the manufacturer site at http://www.strambach.at/pipes-rahmen.html ,"It scientific designation is Sepiolith, which is a type of magnesium silicate.In nature it is found in Turkey and Tanzania in lumps as large as a child's head."
After Turkey ban the exportation of block meerschaum to other countries, some companies try to find some ways like pressed or masse.
As a summary it is cheap because it is not natural.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Be careful with the rubber thing ... Given enough time it would slowly melt with the stem.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
This is my surviving Strambach. I is precolored on the rim. For some strange reason the stem is noot fitting flush with the shank. I bought it on Ebay so maybe it´s a reject. Smokes fine though....

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
I love my Strambach pipe. Its so smooth and silky to touch and hold, and i like the size. It smokes fantastic. Would love to add a picture, but i dont know how.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I've had one for about two years now. No complaints and it's starting to color nicely. Not my everyday smoker, but I do enjoy it when it comes up in the rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.