PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I was sort of waiting on Jim to start the ball rolling, but then it occurred to me that I had been sampling iterations of STP's recreations of Bengal Slices, Warhorse and 3 John Cotton's for several months now. So I might as well let the good folks here know what my experiences have been.
The great RussO and the co-conspirators at STP have been very busy studying, in some cases analyzing, researching, blending, tweaking, and of course puffing several distinguished (and extinguished) blends of renown for a number of months. What made these exercises more interesting was that the samples of the originals are now greatly aged, and of course one can extrapolate that the Latakias and Orientals have changed, and perhaps diminished. There are attempts to correct for this by seeking out puffers who had experience with the originals, although in the case of War Horse, I'm not sure if there are any still alive. But then, there is the problem of imperfect memories with the span of decades. And unlike winetasting, the protocols and methodologies, and even the nomenclatures of tobacco tasting are rudimentary, to say the least. The volunteers with the historical experience aren't necessarily in the business of sorting out their olfactory stimuli - some of them had just happened to dip into the old tins in the course of their smoking; but it still was a big checkpoint to tap their memories and compare them against the new stuff.
A good part of my participation was at the monthly meetings of the Lehigh Valley and Christopher Morley's Pipe Clubs, which provided a steady stream of the newest refinements on the themes. But now the recipes and processes have mostly settled down.
As posted in TR (with slight changes):
"I missed the LVPC picnic, to my great regret, since this marked the points where the samples were essentially preproduction ready. But DanJ brought the newest iterations of the STP reincarnations to Morley's. I just puffed my first bowl of that sample to No.1, in a small very old BBB apple that is one of my standard tasting pipes.
Inspection of the leaf and sniffing the baggy note revealed a medium, rather than light Latakia with bright and maybe red Virginias, along with a tangy Oriental. There was a moderate amount of nicotine so this was not all that 'mild' in that respect.
I recall that Mike Butera created his Royal Vintage Latakia blends to bring back 2 John Cottons that were discontinued. I would assume the originals used Syrian Latakia while all the American versions have to use Cyprian. I suppose lightening the proportion of Cyprian and adjusting with Orientals could simulate the fruity tanginess that Syrian would have provided. I think the source Virginias Russ used would be different than what Mike McNeil has, and there is no vinegar undertone, unless Russ 'corrected' that with Turkish.
I never have tasted JC No.1, and on the whole I prefer STP's No.1 to Butera's No. 2, which was one I liked enough to have gone through a number of tins before my Top200 Cellar rankings pushed it aside.
I was struck by a surprising level of complexity all through the 1 inch bowl despite the relative lightness and youth of the blend. There were no raw edges and the flavors interplayed interestingly. I look forward to trying the next bowls in different sized and shaped chambers to see how the flavors develop differently. In a way this STP reminds me of Greg Pease's blending style with its complexity.
No.1 DGTs very nicely, and I bet this fine blend will mellow nicely with age.
Pipe Used: BBB, Quagliata, Luciano, Dunhill
Age When Smoked: 1 month
Purchased From: P&C
Similar Blends: Dunhill Standard Mellow, Rattray 7 Reserve and Professional, C&D Stratfordshire, Brebbia Preludio, Presbyterian, Butera Royal Vintage Latakia No.2."
Since then, with repeated calibrations and sequences with the controls, I still come away very impressed by the artistry and cohesion of this light medium Balkany English. For many pipers, No.1 would suit as an all-day blend. Probably due to the quality of the Virginias, No. 1 DGTs quite well. It is fun to have several pre-loaded pipes in varying levels of DGT and work my way back through them.
hp

les
PS more will be revealed....

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
There are attempts to correct for this by seeking out puffers who had experience with the originals, although in the case of War Horse, I'm not sure if there are any still alive.
I know one. Still alive and kicking! I believe Simon and Dan planned to send him a sample, which I guess should have arrived by now.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Les, thanks for the considered review, and lovely prose. I look forward to trying the STP blends when they become available; even more now that I've read your review and the comments from the other beta tasters.
-- Pat

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Les: I'm not too far from finishing my reviews. I just need to smoke a little more of them to be sure of what I'm thinking regarding what I'm tasting.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thank you Les. I'm overwhelmed by the effort that Russ put into this project. Groundbreaking, if I may be that effusive.....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I posted this earlier in the other STP related thread, but this seems like a better place to post it.
I've started smoking the John Cotton recreations and can say this about the John Cotton's mild, which I smoked all day yesterday:
Having never smoked the original I can't attest to the accuracy of this recreation, but if the original John Cotton's mild didn't taste like this new one, it should have. This is a miracle of proportion and balance between the various components, a perfectly judged and harmonious quartet of flavors, brought into clear relief by a tiny sweet note. The interplay of Virginia, Burley(?), Turkish, and Latakia works so well that it feels inevitable, like the existence of some universal constant.
The blend packs, lights, and smokes well right out of the sample pouch. This is a great blend for those who like a moderate, well balanced smoke. As for cellaring, it's so good right now that I really can't see how it could get better, only different, over time. How nice to have something so satisfying right out of the tin.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'm glad that folks are enjoying the samples. To me, John Cotton's No. 1 Mild was a blend in which the Virginias were the star. You could taste the Latakia and you could "feel" the presence of the Orientals, but the clean, lightly sweet Virginias were the center of attention.
Russ

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I will be posting up reviews of the blends as well. We had a tasting party tonight at my club. I thoroughly enjoyed them all.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
The tasting pouches landed on my desk this morning and I have to say - I'm excited about the No.1 blend and the War Horse. ALthough the latter makes me a bit nervous as I've heard various tales of previous samples giving a hell of a kick! The blends will be tasted by the Pipe Club of London; we have four regular smokers of the original War Horse, so we should be able to get (at least!) one coherent comparison out of them. I hope...!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.