PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I have been putting my selections in the refrigerator in Ziploc vacuum bags

and wondering is this right. The other thing after a stomach virus no mater

what blend I smoked it was nasty. Getting better now in taste but not what it was.

Food -beer-whiskey still taste good.

Vacuuming to seal, wonder if this takes anything away from the blends?

Joe

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
You might be finding that the tobacco is picking up latent aromas and flavours from the fridge, just like a box of baking soda. Really, Mason or Ball jars are all that is required for storage; they seal well, look decent, and can store indefinitely.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto Schmitzbitz and Marc. Mason jars at room temperature are the preferred storage media.

In any event, vacuum packing is totally unnecessary, and it will interfere with the aging process.

Ziploc-type plastic bags are semi-permeable and can pass gases, organic molecules, and sometimes moisture.

If you must use a baggy type of container, then consider Iwan Ries' PermaMoist Pouches. I've stored tobacco

in these metalized bags for years without damage. In fact, the Va. flake I stored actually improved with aging.

foil_tob.png

Temperature and humidity rule of thumb: if you're comfortable, then the pipe tobacco will be OK with it too!

martini

Lurker
Sep 28, 2011
Refrigerators are designed to keep air very dry. Even in a Ziplock, you will lose moisture and you're tobacco will dry out.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the information.Taken them out of the fridge

and the flavor is returning or my taste buds are. Jars in

the future also this problem made me start thinking about

1 tobacco to 1 pipe. Have to label jar so i will remember which pipe..

Joe

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Have you ever noticed how refrigeration or regular air conditioning removes humidity from the environment? When warm air moves over a cold coil moisture is removed from the air. Different systems do different things with the moisture, but if you don't believe me just stick a piece of bread uncovered in the fridge. It will turn into a rock in a few days.
My hypothesis: Short term in a plastic baggie probably would not be that bad, but any longer than a month and that fridge will rob your tobaccy of its admirable qualities.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ditto Schmitzbitz and Marc. Mason jars at room temperature are the preferred storage media.

In any event, vacuum packing is totally unnecessary, and it will interfere with the aging process.

Ziploc-type plastic bags are semi-permeable and can pass gases, organic molecules, and sometimes moisture.

I'll ditto that ditto.

:puffy:

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
I think your method sounds fine (i store mine in a similar way, but at room temp), although ideally some sort of humidor would be the best environment (although not the same one that you keep your Cuban gars in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.