PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay so bear with my because I am posting this using my phone, my laptop is all packed up....
So I am taking a three day trip to Dallas, TX (I take short trips like this often) and I was looking for a nicer way to store my tobacco while on the road, something that will catch the falling tobacco and just look nicer than a zip lock baggie full of tobacco. I think I might have come up with an idea....
I have taken an old altoids tin and lined the inside with wax paper and then I took more wax paper and made it fit inside the lid with some hanging off as to create a better seal. Does this sound like it will work for keeping the tobacco from getting too dry over a three to four day period? Any suggestion on how to make it better?
Thanks in advance, I will post pictures tomorrow when I get the chance.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
As long as there is no flavor left in the Altoids tin, you should be alright.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
The altoid tin may not seal in the natural humidity or keep out the Texas 90% humidity.
How 'bout a pipe tobacco pouch ? Zipper upper or roll up ?
Welcome to Texas. Enjoy your visit. :)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Thanks for the responses guys. I am actually going to get a pouch as soon as I find one I like, I am very picky about things like that! I won't buy the pouch online because I would like to hold it and look inside before I buy it. And if I don't find a pouch soon I will just use an actual tobacco tin I just haven't received my first one yet.
I guess I shouldn't worry too much... Most of it will be gone by today :( looks like I have to find a B&M here if I have time.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I like Altoids, but they seem to be pretty strong stuff. I would be afraid they would turn my pipe tobacco into a menthol blend. Also, like patiobum said, I would be skeptical of the seal you get with the Altoids tin too.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Haha this tin hasn't had altoids in it for about three years and I have washed it about twenty times since I emptied it of altoids. I don't think it is going to flavor my tobacco. Let's at least hope, haven't noticed any flavoring yet.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay here is the pictures if anyone was confused by what I meant...
IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I packed it light thinking I would only smoke 3 or 4 bowls (one a day) but I ended up smoking 2 the first day! I think I would be able to get 6-9 bowls? I will experiment with it when I get home...
If Lawrence, Kevin, or Bob want to move the thread to "What are you smoking" then they are welcome too!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Actually, at some level I actually "get it". Dicking around is half the fun of the whole pipe smoking thing.

It's just that I dick around in ways that are different from yours. Go ahead and have fun with it.

If Kevin can make little brown people with his pile of used pipe cleaners:

I like to make little people out of my pipe cleaners.

then you're free to recycle Altoids tins.

LOL

(After this post he's gonna make little voodoo dolls with them, and use an Altiods tin for a casket.)

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
I think it sounds like a great idea - a very nice solution to the need for temporary storage. I may try it myself.

Altoid tins have other uses too. Some folks turn them into cameras.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Bubba,
I like to keep an empty Prince Albert or Top roll-your-own pouch tucked away in a drawer for whenever such a need arises. It's better looking than a Ziploc and keeps the tobacco pretty fresh for short lengths of time.
If Kevin can make little brown people with his pile of used pipe cleaners:
"I like to make little people out of my pipe cleaners."
I saw this a couple years ago:
Pipe Cleaner Sculpture: NSFW

Status
Not open for further replies.