PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
So I'm a newbie to pipe smoking; I opened my first tin of tobacco last week. I've placed the tobacco in a jar to store it; the jar has a seal. The tobacco that I was intending to smoke for a couple of days I put in a pouch. I've noticed that the tobacco in the pouch dehydrates fast. What are your suggestions on storing tobacco in pouches and jars? Do I need to hydrate the tobacco in the jar? What is the best method?

martini

Lurker
Sep 28, 2011
Tobacco kept in a jar (I suggest a mason jar with a good seal) does not need to have any moisture added to it. Doing so will affect the aging process and can cause problems such as mold. It will stay moist in the jar on its own for many years.
You can keep tobacco in a ziplock and expect it to stay at an acceptable moisture level for weeks. I'm assuming the pouch you were using doesn't have the airtight qualities a ziplock would (or you live in a very dry climate and need to stick to jars).
I suggest this method for rehydrating dry tobacco:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJyKXSTxIM

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Here's a great and simple way to rehydrate your baccy. This guys has a long series of videos on you tube that helped me a lot. Loads of info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz5sfyvIOu0&list=PLF038D14740357930

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Quick question...I have some opened tins (seal has been broken) and am wondering if I should transfer them to properly sealed containers (I use glass), as they may sit for several months?
Thanks!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If the seal on the tin is gone, and the tobacco will not be smoked within 1 - 2 weeks, then yes, move the baccy into some mason jars with the lids sealed tight for storage.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
You can re-seal the tin with some packing tape if you don't want to fuss around with moving it to jars, sterilizing and all of that stuff. The wide clear kind works good. Just wrap it around the seal twice (or more if you're paranoid), and it's going to be just as airtight as anything else.
If you doubt it, just wrap some packing tape around your mouth and nose a few times to see the effect. I think you'll find it very effective...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I don't see how moving tobacco into a glass jar is a fuss.
I actually enjoy putting them in jars and getting to label them.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"I use the bowel and towel routine for rehydration"
I do not want to know what this involves. ;)
Bob

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I'm with Spartan on this.
I rather enjoy building my little pipe tobacco cellar with all the pretty hand labeled Ball jars.
Side note: Ace Hardware now offers "Antique" Ball jars in cool greenish/blue glass. Twice the price of regular Ball jars, but boy are they pretty.
Besides, putting up tobacco in jars is as close to prepping as this ex-New Jersey boy will ever get, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.