PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The local B&M had about 200 Grams of Mclelland Virginia Flake in bulk still hanging around so naturally I bought it all. I have a jar for smoking now but I will be putting some away, not necessarily for aging but just saving for later. My uestion is does anyone here dry the flakes before storage or do you just jar them as is and dry layer? Right now the flakes are a bit moist but nothing extreme.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't dry them in advance. Jar them up and dry them in limited quantities as you use them, I would say. Echoing Chasing Embers.

MSO, and Duane, not that I disagree, or have a counter argument, but why not dry them beforehand if aerobic aging is not a concern at all? Wouldn't it save time in the long run in drying individual flakes before smoking them?
Just curious as to why everyone is so concerned about keeping tobacco moist if they are going to dry them eventually anyways.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I'm half & half. For smaller quantities of things that I will smoke now, I dry it out and store in a mason jar. This way, I'm ready to enjoy it when the mood strikes.
For long-term aging of flakes, say, those that aren't going to be opened and consumed for years, I store them as they were delivered to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
MSO, and Duane, not that I disagree, or have a counter argument, but why not dry them beforehand if aerobic aging is not a concern at all?
Recently dried tobacco tastes great, but if dry for too long, it tastes stale.

I've found that it has to be dry for a very long time to taste stale (devoid of essential oils), if the tobacco was initially fresh tobacco. In the beginning, tobacco may spend a few years at bone dry in storage before going to processing, so the cell walls are relatively tough. But, it is interesting to get an insight into why we do what we do.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I prefer to jar as they are and dry them when smoking. I don't have a final scientific explanation but I think keeping wet as when delivered favors the aging process. But again it is just my speculation.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I second 64alex, proper aging tobacco requires moisture(G. Pease has articles on his site) and it seems that some tobaccos can naturally loose moisture during the aging process(IMHO). Even if aging the flakes isn't the goal it's better to err on the side of preparation than regrets.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Even if aging the flakes isn't the goal it's better to err on the side of preparation than regrets.
That's my position on the matter as well.
It's far easier to fiddle with best moisture level for your own personal smoking preference by going from too moist to too dry than vice versa.
I also believe it takes quite a seasoned pipe smoker to be able smoke bone dry tobacco without over heating the pipe or scorching the tongue.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I agree and have jarred them as is. I am keep8ng one jar of dried out for immediate consumption. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Jar it as it is in the tin. I find it is best to have it in a jar that is the appropriate size for the amount of tobacco, too. I have put small amounts in large jars (ran out of small jars) and the tobacco became very dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.