Storing cake tobacco long term. Any different than ribbon cut?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I took a gamble and bought an 8oz tin of SPC Plum Pudding cake tobacco, which I'd never had before. I almost stuck it in my cellar but thought, "Why am I smoking only the inexpensive, but still tasty, bulk tobacco and leaving the good ones untouched?" So, I opened it and just smoked my first bowl in my meer, which is what I always smoke my best English tobaccos in. Heaven. Really good. Not worlds better than some other good English tobaccos I've had, but really good.
This leaves me with the question of how to store it. A half pound is a lot for me. I'll have some out to share at a Briar and Bourbon event I'm hosting this week, but I'll want to cellar the majority of it. Should I put the cakes in a Mason jar, like my ribbon cut tobaccos, or store it some other way? Wrap some cakes in foil first, maybe? I have no idea, which is why I'm asking.
I store my ribbon cut tobaccos in Mason jars with silicone seals which I push down into the jars to further isolate the tobacco from the air in the jar and that seems to work well.
Thanks!

May 4, 2015
Smallest mason jars they'll fit in, as many as it takes - while taking in to consideration that you want to have them divided up so that you're exposing as few of the cakes to opening/closing when you're needing to open the next dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.