PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
What I wouldn't give to be able to get my hands on some MacAllan Fine Oak. I hear it's mighty fine stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always wished I could enjoy a good single malt scotch. I have tried many really good ones including ones above, but for the life of me, they all taste like kerosene. I have been told many times it is an acquired taste, but how much do I have to drink to acquire a taste for it? Does anyone ever taste it the first time and say wow?

Aug 1, 2012
Does anyone ever taste it the first time and say wow?
I did. It was a Glenlivet 12 and the bartender made sure I added water. If you've never tried it, add a little bit of distilled or spring water (up to around 30% to taste) to the scotch before tasting it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010

Me! It's usually followed by, "Wow, that's strong!"
I have to honestly say, I've never met a whiskey (whisky) I didn't like. Even the awful ones are good. If that makes sense...
-Jason
Oh yeah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
See, now I always knew that Stonehenge was a a spiritual place.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I meet you...we call it Stonedhenge!!Makes my liver quiver in excitement.. :rofl:

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I hear you, noble. I like it all too. Clan MacGregor, Philadelphia, I can't remember what the rack whisky at our local is called but it is awful and wonderful at the same time.
The first time I tasted scotch, it felt like someone stabbed me under the tongue. I could only drink Jack mixed with Coke. What helped me get over it is knowing that I loved whisky (and later whiskey) even though it didn't really taste good. I know that doesn't sound like it makes sense but that's how it happened. One day it just clicked.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I did. Bourbon tasted terrible to me right out of the gate but I can now enjoy a glass every now and then. Single malts and blends from Scotland, however, have always tripped my trigger. I usually give up when I find myself trying to like something.
@papipeguy: That is a thing of beauty my friend.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Yes cigarmaster, 1st sip I said wow. I do not get the kerosene taste, perhaps we drink totally different brands of kerosene. :|

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The trick with most single malts is a drop or two of water which releases the aromatics. Then sip and priase the Scots. Brought a bottle of 12 year-old Glenlivet on our long weekend trip to Virginia this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.