Stokkebye LBF Vs. Newminster Round Superior Slices?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I have been looking into both of these tobaccos for some time now, and I was curious if anyone with any experience with both blends can tell me which one they like better? On the one hand, the Newminster Slices have Kentucky which I'm going to assume means a slightly higher nicotine content than the Stokkebye LBF. On the other hand, the LBF lists Cavendish as their core tobacco instead of Kentucky, but LBF also lists Perique, which isnt listed on the Newminster, which means, I'm assuming at least, that the flavor will differ from the Newminster. Does anyone like one over the other? They are both great value, I am thinking of ordering a pound of each just for the sake of the value, but like always, I hate to be stuck with a whole pound of something that I am not going to enjoy.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Where is Roth when you need him? I know he has smoked both of them and really likes the Newminster. It's been a while since I smoked any LBF and I have never smoked the SRS.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm confused on the Superior round slices, some places list it as this
Newminster No 403 Superior Round Sliced (BULK) is a blend of ripe Virginia tobaccos spiced with pure Louisiana Perique. The center contains Black Cavendish which creates a smooth taste.
Some places list it as this
Whole Virginia leaves used as the wrapper and filler are combined with a center of dark-fired Kentucky, and are then rolled into ropes and cut into coins. The coins are slightly aromatic and medium to full in strength.
Here's a thread on the confusion http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/newminster-superior-round-slices.25617/#post-490691
It's too bad as I was going to order some but then from the sites description it just sounded the same as LBF, then afterwords now I read it may be dark fired kentucky with no perique.

Aug 1, 2012
Andrew, the second description you posted is correct.
I got both in a trade with another member and personally, I like the LBF much better. The Newminster was not bad but it always burned hot no matter what and the flavor was not as good, or as sweet, to me as the LBF. I have about a half pound of LBF cellared and about half an ounce of the Newminster left.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I haven't tried the newminster, but the lbf is quite a tasty smoke. A pretty good nic hit, but not too bad. I like the luxury navy flake by stokkebye better than the lbf even. I just ordered a half pound of that this week.

B

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've had both and I find Newminster too "forward". The Virginia's and Kentucky are all up front. Mine was extremely touchy and did not like to be pushed. I enjoyed it, but I ASSUME a few years would take the edge off. It's not something I plan on reordering. For what it's worth, my coins were FULL of stems. Full.
There's a really nice plumish taste to the Newminster, where LBF has a really nice sweet hayish taste and smell. I found myself looking for Perique in the Newminster, but I realize they are two different animals.
I think the Perique and Cavendish in LBF (which isn't a large amount) really add some weight to the smoke and helps balance it out. It's fantastic in a cob.
I don't think the Newminster is bad. It's just not something I enjoy as much as LBF. Here's my impressions of the Newminster when I tried it this winter.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/impression-newminster-superior-round-slices

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Pipe Novelist, check your PM's.
Back the nic thing. I don't know. It takes a lot of nic to get me to notice it. Back to back bowls of Haddo's usually does it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes from what I've read the SRS need some age on them before it starts to get better, personally I don't mind the LBF fresh. I have some aging but trying it fresh was good enough for me to order a box of it. I also read on a forum this guy mentioning if you hydrate either blend with rum and let it age it becomes a magnificent thing to behold.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this one. jah76 offered to send me some LBF, which was very generous, and maybe Ill toss a couple of ounces of SRS into my next order. The general consensus around the forum is that the LBF is generally better received than Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, which I dont think is all that bad, just not all that great either, kind of a bland smoke. I know I wont be ordering any more of the Luxury Navy Flake any time soon, but the LBF sounds like it could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.