PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

themanny82

Lurker
Mar 17, 2014
I'm looking to hear people's thoughts on your regular stock pipes ($50.00 range pipes that you walk in to your local tobacconist and they have sitting on display with no maker's mark) as opposed to the named pipes (Savinelli, Il Chepo, etc) and other artisan pipes that are so sought after.
do you prefer one over the other? does one smoke better than another? just as good? A pipe is a pipe is a pipe so long as you are smoking?
Most of mine are your regular stock pipes that I've picked out because they fit my hand well, and I like the traditional aesthetics of them. As far as smoking, the number of artisan pipes that I have smoked, the stock do just as well.
Thoughts?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a couple of no name barrel pipes from my local B&M for when I'm out and about, and they are great little smokers.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm more interested in the fit and finish of the pipe than I am the name. If it well selected briar, constructed good with good engineering and hole alignment then that's what matters. If the stem is loose or the bowl is to thin it doesn't matter what the name on it is I don't wont to spend my hard earned money on a pipe just for the name.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I personally don't care if it's a basket pipe or the holy grail of pipes costing thousands, if it's properly engineered, smokes well and you enjoy it you've hit the jackpot.
I've got cobs that smoke as well as high end numbers so if you're happy with your stock pipes enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.