PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadie

Lurker
Jun 30, 2012
I'm the kind of person that cringes at the thought of going to a pet owner's home and getting animal hair all over my clothes (I may be young, but I rarely leave the house in anything less than "upper" business casual).
So, as much as I'm enjoying this newfound hobby, the concept of tobacco smoke soaking into my clothes poses a bit of a problem for me.
I've been around enough cigarette smokers to know that everything they think about, let alone own/wear/use reeks putridly of cigarettes and their additives. I fear this happening to me and it resulting in more difficulties when socializing (like I need more of that) or generally offending the senses of those around me. The only thing I've done so far is designate two or three "smoking outfits" that I don't mind losing to smoke smell, and I smoke aromatics most of the time ("Is it me or does that guy's shirt smell like burning ketchup?").
How do you guys deal with smoking and your clothes?

+ Do you wash them differently? Do you care?

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Sometimes I use a smoke odor eliminator that smells like a fresh load of laundry.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
honestly i used to care and then suddenly i just decided i didnt any more. after not worrying about it so much i smoked in whatever i wanted and after a good wash, if you smoke outside, the smell goes away in my opinion, its a little more lingering if you smoke inside i think.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I only smoke outside, the smoke drifts away and is never a problem on my clothes. Afterwards, my breath will smell smokey and if I'm concerned that it will be offensive to someone then I brush my teeth (if at home) or use chewing gum.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've worked for several large corporations, including a Big 4, so I'm all too familiar with 'business casual', but I'm not sure what "upper business casual" means. Diamond-studded khakis? Gilded oxford cloth button downs?
Seriously though, you can think about a smoking jacket but frankly they're rather pretentious. But I'm not one for costumes (or "smoking outfits" of any kind). Laundering your clothes as usual should be adequate.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Bums smell like trash and crap, mechanic's smell like grease and oil and old

ladies smell like chicken soup. I, on the other hand smell like pipe tobacco.

Take it or leave it. (Just my take on it).

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Well it depends if I'm going to be around members of my family out of curtisy I will spray some Old spice on me and I'll wash my hands and use some mouth wash. But if I'm out with friends I won't do anything of the sort. I don't have smoking outfits, just wash your clothes like you normally do. If I'm on a date it depends on the girl.

Cheers

Gunnar

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
People should care how they smell. Being in the business world I have noticed smelling like smoke can prevent you from getting a job. On the other hand, though, my clothes never smell like cigarettes. Cigarettes tend to linger and the pipe, IMHO, tends to fade away. I only smoke outside and I think that probably does help as well.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I personally don't worry about tobacco odor but for those that do, try a little Fabreeze. I use it when ever I clean the interior of my truck and it works for me.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I worked in a B&M back when I was in college. After doing that, smoking up to 5 cigars a day on average, and walking around smelling the way I did... nothing really comes close now.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I only smoke in my smoking room or on my porch.I wear different clothes when I go some place.I keep those in a closet.I can't really tell if smoke odor gets on them or not.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
What I noticed is that pipe tobacco, even heavy english blends tend to not be nearly as bad as cigarettes and cigars in terms of smell. Also one big reason cigarette smokers smell so bad is that they light up like 10+ times a day and INHALE everything into their lungs. A big part of the smell is not their clothing, but the stench of their sweat and breath.
I never smoke before work because I do not want people to smell it on me. It's a business enviroment, anyone that smells like cigarettes really bothers me and I do not want others to classify me into that catagory. If for some reason I do smoke before working (late shift) I will make it a really great smelling aromatic like Boswells Berry Cobbler.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 to "pipe smoke doesn't linger"
If you smoke like 10 min before you gotta be somewhere then yes you will smell... But I don't know to what degree you will smell.
I will change the top layer if I'm concerned about it, or I will sometimes smoke in white undershirts and then put on the additional layers after a smoke. I have never had someone come up to me saying I smell like smoke.
My wife hates the smell of smoke on me immediately after a pipe, and hates smoke on her clothes. It's never been a problem because the smoke doesn't linger.
She thinks it does, but it doesn't. I've smoked in the car on numerous occasions. Doesn't smell like smoke. :puffy:
And no I don't wash anything differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.