PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
I recently cleaned my pipe using the salt alcohol method. My shank got a little stiff and difficult for my stem to get in. Any ideas on how to loosen the shank or get the stem in?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Let it dry completely. If it still won't go together, put both pieces in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. If that doesn't work, come back for another forum consult.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Let the pipe dry for a few days or longer. Do not force the stem into the shank as you could damage or crack the latter.

If you live in a humid environment, put the pipe in a small zip-closure plastic bag with some uncooked rice, enough to cover the pipe. This will safely absorb any excess moisture.

If it remains too tight after drying, try rubbing bees wax on the tenon as a lubricant. Some might suggest rubbing a soft pencil lead or powdered graphite, though this could be abrasive.
What type of alcohol did you use? (Everclear, isopropyl 91% or 70%)

Did you allow the alcohol to fully evaporate before removing the salt?

Did you plug the draft hole in the end of the shank to keep the mortise dry?
(I apologize in advance for any of my fellow forum members who may turn this post into a double entendre fest)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For the future: keep the shank inserted the whole time. While a pun, it's also serious advice. Never leave the stem off the pipe for longer than is needed for cleaning the mortise. (there could be nasty stuff in the hole).

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Any ideas on how to loosen the shank or get the stem in?
What were you thinking when you posted this! Obviously you haven't been hear long, it's all fun though, welcome aboard
Seriously, let it completely dry and if its still tight try some graphite

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Omg 1 Coyote!!! I'm screaming and sillying myself laughing at the same time!! :rofl: Jeez, you guys!!!!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Alcohol will oxidize vulcanite and could melt some plastic stems . I have never heard of anyone doing a salt and alcohol treatment and leaving the stem in . Of course some have lived longer than I have . :crazy:
959174064274232208.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
All you guys with your tiny tenons- There's a reason I like Military Mounts...a tapered fit, and all you have to do at the end of the day is ram them home for a tight fit...:)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Spigots are even better in that regard, and you've got the bling factor, too. Some ladies drool over that, and like to remove the silvered stem and reinsert into the other silver part that protects the hole. Over and over.
Uh, over and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.