PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
First off, this is not a challenge to simnettpratt's fine post:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/think-im-moving-on-from-aromatics
I almost envy those members who have a refined palette and can taste the many nuances of a good tobacco. I however do not have such a palette. I cannot for the life of me name the ingredients in a complex dish. In many ways this is a blessing, since I am not a foodie nor do I crave food, I don't get fat.
But I do enjoy aros because (to my unrefined taste buds) the flavor is fairly discernable and enjoyable. I've tried flakes, VAs, etc and just didn't enjoy them all that much - plus the extra expense makes them a bit out of reach as a regular tobacco. And now with the tobaccapocalypse on the horizon, I've had to quickly find out what I enjoyed most and stock up - and for me, it's aros.
As well, after being flooded out of our home nearly 3 years ago, we've spent all of our savings on rebuilding, so my budget for tobacco is limited.
Thus my cellar has consisted of mostly inexpensive aros (like Newminster Danish Black) mixed with a little Five Brothers (which adds a controlled nic kick, without changing the flavor).
As such, I am able to get 5 lbs of Danish Black for about $120, where as 5 lbs in tins could easily approach $300. For me, it offers a pleasant smoke at an affordable price.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I puff aros to relax and enjoy some quiet time, I don't care about the complexities of the blend, I either like it, or I don't. Bulk blends allow me an inexpensive way to sample blends without going broke.
This probably explains why I'm an occasional puffer, not a devotee. I do, however, enjoy reading about the enjoyment that others receive from smoking their blends. I was even convinced to order some Frog Morton Cellar (still unopened).

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Six, do you have a favorite aro? Or, do you have a favorite flavor you like to taste in your aros?
I just got 4oz of Buddy's Blend from milantobacco.com I really enjoy it so far. Notes of chocolate and coffee.

I enjoy Altadis Basin St Blues also, and not sure of the flavors there.
Not sure what I like in my aros yet. Vanilla's a given. Not sure how I feel about fruit flavors.
Just wasn't sure if you were a vanilla guy, cherry, berry, chocolate, nut, etc.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Six, have you tried the 4Noggins aros yet? They are among the best I've tried.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Six, do you have a favorite aro? Or, do you have a favorite flavor you like to taste in your aros?
Right now I'd say my fav is Danish Black and French Champagne by Newminster. They taste great, are not the least bit goopy or syrupy and are highly affordable. There are some flakes that I like, for ex. Peterson University Flake, but I don't love it so much that it justifies the high cost.
Six, have you tried the 4Noggins aros yet? They are among the best I've tried.
I live in VT and unfortunately that's where they are located too. This means I'd have to pay a 90% tax rate. This is why I no longer buy Wilke aros - which are superb. They too are located in VT.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I live in VT and unfortunately that's where they are located too. This means I'd have to pay a 90% tax rate. This is why I no longer buy Wilke aros - which are superb. They too are located in VT.
If there wasn't dozens of threads on taxation already, I'd comment in more depth. Let's just say, "that sux."

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If there wasn't dozens of threads on taxation already, I'd comment in more depth. Let's just say, "that sux."
You said it.
In fact, if the tobaccapocalypse wasn't on the horizon, I'd probably be expanding my tobacco list more. But since I want to be covered for a number of years, I've got to find affordable tobacco. Unfortunately I don't have $10-20k just laying around.
Now if I could just buy week to week, month to month like in the past, I could afford to splurge on more expensive tobaccos now and then. Right now I am genuinely concerned that once my stock is through in a few years, this hobby may become too costly for me to continue. So I am trying to stock up as much as I can while the gettin' is good.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I usually smoke VA flakes and an occasional Latakia blend or Lakeland flake, but I'm starting to appreciate the goodness of aromatics. I'm smoking some Altadis Blue Note right now (not the same as the famous one, I don't think), and while it's not great, the nutty chocolate aroma is a pleasure in itself. I think part of the appeal for me is the memory of "pipe smell" from my youth. And by "pipe smell," I think I really mean Captain Black (or similar). As we all know, though perhaps forget, smoking a pipe is a complex experience that involves so much more than satisfying the taste buds.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
As we all know, though perhaps forget, smoking a pipe is a complex experience that involves so much more than satisfying the taste buds.
Good point. Another thing that is interesting about aromas is that they can really transport us back to the past, more so than taste. I guess this can help with the nostalgia some of us have of our grandfather's pipes.
On the topic of scent and memory, some time ago I read a study/memory trick, that suggests that a person chew a strong flavored/scented gum, or wear a strong perfume while studying. Then sniff this during a test and it will help jog those memories.
Not sure if it works, but sounds plausible.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Six: I very new to pipe smoking and I'm definitely fond of the aros so far. I've tried several of J.M.Boswells blends and haven't found one I don't like. I'd like to try someone else's blend, got any you might suggest?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@juptierspipe:
I'd like to try someone else's blend, got any you might suggest?
I can highly recommend Pipeworks & Wilke's Rumcake. It's a tad pricey, but really exceptional. I would definitely suggest you give Newminster's Black Danish and French Champagne a try - to me they taste great and are very affordable.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
+1 on Aros and I understand being budget constrained as I am also.
I don't drink booze so my only real luxuries are good Coffee, fine chocolate and great aromatic pipe tobacco, I've had to compromise on the coffee and chocolate because of this damn Depression but I draw the line at pipe tobacco so I'm still smoking Wilke blends.
FWIW I just received a pound of Bleaker street and it's terrific.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Blue Note is one smoke that I keep a lot of. It tastes great, it never burns hot, and when I'm out and about people say that it smells like cupcakes. It was one of the first blends that I got into, and I still love it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Slightly O/T:
Is the "Blue Note" from Altadis/Tobacco Galleria the same blend as the Pipe Dan "Blue Note"?
Totally O/T:
Since we're talking about budgets and chocolates (and Vermont), there is no better chocolate on the planet than the chocolates from Lake Champlain Chocolates. Pricey ain't the half of it, but it's f***ing exquisite stuff. And unlike tobacco, VT doesn't add a 90% tax to the price. The 5-Star hazelnut chocolate bars are just amazing.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Since we're talking about budgets and chocolates (and Vermont), there is no better chocolate on the planet than the chocolates from Lake Champlain Chocolates. Pricey ain't the half of it, but it's f***ing exquisite stuff. And unlike tobacco, VT doesn't add a 90% tax to the price. The 5-Star hazelnut chocolate bars are just amazing.
I have to agree, they are excellent chocolates!

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Thanks a lot Six and Rothnh, I just ordered the sampler from Pipeworks and Wilke's I got cherry cavendish,rumcake,No.13 and No.191. Thanks for suggestions fellas!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
HA! Just saw this thread; pretty funny. I'm with ya six, I've been smoking aros because you can get something tasty for half (or a third) the price of something like Escudo. I'm like you too, not a foodie, and find food and sleep annoying distractions that take me away from the pc, and are therefore bad. I'd rather have 8oz of something decent that I like, say RLP-6, than 4oz of something I really like. Not ideal, but you can't always afford the Ferrari you want, and have to make do with the Civic.
The 7 Seas Regular I just had tasted fine, but I couldn't dry it out to save my life. I also agree with the comment that the rituals of pipe smoking involve much more than just the taste. They are what make pipes more fun than cigars for me. Light it and go? Pish, what fun is that? Plus, you get to buy pipes.
Good luck with the cellar six, hope the tax situation doesn't prevent a lot of us from enjoying the hobby, but I'm not hopeful about that. I don't want to become a member of weedpipesmagazine.com.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@simnettpratt
I also agree with the comment that the rituals of pipe smoking involve much more than just the taste. They are what make pipes more fun than cigars for me. Light it and go? Pish, what fun is that? Plus, you get to buy pipes.
Very good point. It is a ritual and also meditative—much of my enjoyment comes from those two aspects.
Good luck with the cellar six, hope the tax situation doesn't prevent a lot of us from enjoying the hobby, but I'm not hopeful about that. I don't want to become a member of weedpipesmagazine.com.
It almost seems that that is the future...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Last night, I didn't really want a smoke (i.e., nicotine delivered by fire), but I just wanted to go through the ritual. In fact, I told my wife, "I'm just going to go through the ritual, I'll be back in a few minutes." I loaded up a favorite pipe with some Frog Cellar and for a few minutes I just enjoyed the process, the feel of the briar in my hand and the smell before heading back inside. I truly didn't want a smoke, per se, but I craved the ritual of it all. A funny thing this pipe business.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, you should never apologize for smoking what you enjoy. I honestly wished I didn't love all the flakes I do because they are so damned expensive. If I liked aromatics or English blends I could have completed my cellar months ago and for a third of the cost. I envy you because you will be getting what you like to smoke for far less than I had to pay. I tried getting into aromatics last summer and have a bunch of Boswell blends that I did enjoy the flavors of, however they dried my mouth out something fierce and I cannot smoke them. Shoot me your addy and I will get them out to you, there is probably 1.5 pounds worth in jars just sitting. The ones I have are Christmas Cookie, Rasberry Cream, Berry Cobbler, Pennsylvania Dutch Treat and No Bite Delight. I would rather see someone enjoy them than just collect dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.