PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Was watching Tuesday's episode of "The Colbert Report" on Hulu, this week he has been featuring a "The Hobbit" themed show all week. He was smoking a white churchwarden pipe at random points during the show. I know he is an actor but he but he gave the impression he knew his way around a pipe. This is just wishful thinking but how cool would it be to have Kevin interview him.
Also, just wanted to float an idea out there. Wouldn't it be nice to start a pipe smoker of the year award. It could be someone who smokes a pipe in real life (preferrably) or someone who portrays pipe smoking in a positive light (even if they don't smoke on in real life) It could be presented on annually on IPSD. Just thinking it might be a way to get publicity like American Mustache Institute does with their yearly mustache contest.
Nominees could include:
Daniel Day-Lewis

Kevin Costner

Ian Mckellen

Micheal Gladis

many others...

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
He looked to me like he was hotboxing it lol. He had a sweet pipe for sure....I wonder what was in it?

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
+1 digital Bump this up. I like the idea of a pipe smoker of the year sponsored by pipesmagazine.com. What a great way to get some publicity.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I feel like there used to be a pipe smoker of the year done by someone else. I think Stephen Fry was it once. Regardless, PM.com would make an ideal organization to start it back up! I'll check out the episode, but I do think I've heard elsewhere that Colbert does smoke pipe.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I saw that episode as well. He was puffing quickly to keep it lit I think as well as trying to keep it smoking really well for the visual effect. The week before he was talking about that new Christmas book where the author removed versus about Santa smoking his pipe. He said no thank you to that which was cool to see as well.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Smoker_of_the_Year
Yep, it was done at one time but Stephen Fry was the last to be named by British Pipesmokers' Council in 2003. The list looks to be almost nothing but Brits (For obvious reasons), so it would be cool to see a more international award.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Pipe smoker of the Year award would be too cool. I love reading about other famous or neat individuals who smoke pipes or cigars. Cigar Aficionado is very good about getting cool guys (and gals) on their covers. They just did an anniversary issue showcasing some of the cover photos and a few "post-humous" interviews with famous cigar smokers.
Some people are cigar smoking legends, like Churchill, others you may have never of guessed and it makes them that much more classy. It's very neat to see both kinds, and I'd love to see a pipe-smoker version.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Screen-Shot-2012-12-05-at-6.14.32-AM-e1354711632306.png

Status
Not open for further replies.