PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
How do you go about soaking a very oxidized stem that has a wooden stem ring or adornment? I am afraid to drop it in a oxy bath and ruin the ring. Are these types of stems sand only?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
bigbenpipebig1005a.jpg

This is what I am referring to in case I made of mess of the description. The one I am thinking of has a lighter wood inlay.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The whole bleach bath thing is a waste of time since sanding is still required. Potentially harmful as well in cases like this.
So, just skip it and continue as normal.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Look closer in his picture. It's Big Ben stamped. Also, http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-bigben.html#caribic

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Correct Big Ben. It is not my pipe just a google image to show what I was talking about. I was looking at purchasing an estate that had the same type of inlay but the stem is olive green from oxidation. :)

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Just use some elbow grease, and cover the wood! Don't have to have a soak to clean up one. I've cleaned up a few that were green, and tan with nothing but alcohol, pipe cleaners, scotch brite pad (be careful with that) then magic erasers. There are better ways...but it worked.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
If you choose to dip your stem you can carefully apply a coat of vaseline to the area of the stem you want to protect. I've used this technique with stems that have metal bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.