PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Open it, smell it, rub it, stuff it and light it. I did all of that and now I know why I liked the blend so much years ago. My memory fails me as to what the old blend tasted like exactly, I just know that it was a favorite for years.
This incarnation is really smooth and rich with tobacco flavor in my mouth. It needs a careful char to insure good ignition. Then pay attention to the second light and you are off on a great experience. The pipe needed no particular attention as I smoked other than an occasional gentle tamp with a twist. I'll pay it a compliment in saying that "Slices" can probably make a dull read palatable.
I do believe I may have another "go-to" blend. Or will have when it hits the shelves. This isn't a working smoke for me, it's a book smoke.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have seen all the reviews of this stuff and I am looking forward to trying it.
But nobody has mentioned "Hearth and Home-Fusilier's Ration" which is supposed to be a Bengal Slices match.
How does this new one compare to Fusilier's Ration?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Fusilier's Ration was based purely upon my memories of Bengal Slices and general knowledge. Bengal Slices is slightly different because I had more data to work from, so it's a more refined blend.
Russ

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Having smoked both Fusilier's Ration (a favorite of mine) and the new Bengal Slices I'd say that Russ' use of the word "refined" is very apropos. Bengal Slices is an elegant smoke for me.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Warren, that pretty much nails my experience with the blend too. This was also my first experience with this kind of prep, and that took some adjustment.
We sampled all of the STC tobaccos at the gig at Michael Parks' place on September 12th (http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/annual-summer-pipe-fest-michael-parks-workshop-picture-heavy) and Bengal Slices was the hands down favourite among the assembled smokers.
I had one gent, who smoked Bengal Slices exclusively in its last iteration, who practically fell on his face to thank me for bringing this along and sharing it with the group. He pinched the last bowl, after asking the entire room full of smokers if they minded... he having already smoked a bowl of the sample.
I was also contacted after the event by Giovanni Placentile who was so taken by the blend that he was looking for ordering information.
Suffice it to say, Canadians like STCofPenn's Bengal Slices.
Nice work lads.
-- Pat

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Bengal slices is definitely going to be a favorite blend for me

I meant I cant make up my mind and need another sample...2-3bs. should do fine 8)

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Question will I like this blend? I hear so many good things about it that I am thinking about getting a tin ..Thing is I've heard so many good things about Frog Morton cellar so I bought a tin of that and found out I'm not a Latikia guy. Now I've read in some reviews on other sites that this is a Lat bomb and others say different that is sweet and tasty.. I prefer Flake or Kake tobacco OGS, Navy, Classic Burly ,stuff that is sweet or spicy .. So what cha think will I like this ?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I haven't smoked it, but if you don't like Latakia it may not be for you. I'd like to try it though. I'm not much of a lat guy, but I smoke it on occasion.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I am a big fan of Fusilier's Ration, so I am for sure going to give Bengal Slices a try. I have been hoarding my Fusilier's Ration as it was not easy to get in Canada for a while. Looking forward to Bengal Slices.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
It's so, so, so good. I haven't had anything quite like it. I hope they start offering larger tins.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Question will I like this blend? I hear so many good things about it that I am thinking about getting a tin ..Thing is I've heard so many good things about Frog Morton cellar so I bought a tin of that and found out I'm not a Latikia guy. Now I've read in some reviews on other sites that this is a Lat bomb and others say different that is sweet and tasty.. I prefer Flake or Kake tobacco OGS, Navy, Classic Burly ,stuff that is sweet or spicy .. So what cha think will I like this ?
Well, it is a bit sweet and a bit spicy. The Latakia flavor is pretty prominent, though I wouldn't describe it as overbearing at all.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Are the slices rectangular, or are they cut so as to fit the round container?
There's as much broken/krumbled kake as there are flakes.
img_1323-600x400.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bengal Slices is a krumble kake, not a flake. That is, it's made by pressing cut tobacco, then slicing the resulting kake.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I have a question regarding the thread title that there may be a simple answer to, but it escapes me, so I thought I would inquire.
STC's "Bengal Slices"
, What does the "STC" refer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.