PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Clean cut Navy grad over brash kid with the big arm. More Pro Bowls in fewer seasons. Better TD to INT ratio. Better completion percentage. Better scrambler. No short-term memory loss from failing to dodge DEs. Much better QB rating: 83.4 lifetime vs 70.9. Brash kid does have one record, though: most games with a zero QB rating (3).

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
You may be an old fart if -

you have an opinion on this from memory.
I loved Roger, but Terry has four rings. Who's the better quarterback? I'll take the rings.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Terry's TEAM made it to the Superbowl. For just the QB, Staubach's got better numbers [:P]
Absolutely right, but.....
Roger had some terrific teams behind him, but, Bradshaw - 4 for 4

Staubach - 2 for 4.
Ultimately, quarterbacks win or lose games.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I knew this would get good! jpberg, I respectfully submit that defense wins or loses games. If the defense does it's job, i.e. pitches a shutout, all the offense has to do can be done on one play. In fact, the offense doesn't have to show up at all! The defense can score, and win the game all by itself; can't say that about the offense.
Terry went 4-4 in Superbowls, and Roger 2-4, so that's a two game advantage for Terry. Roger has the numbers advantage for his whole career, so Roger was the better QB.
(Gonna have to admit it sooner or later, I'm in Dallas and bleed blue and silver. I promise to remain civil, and if you come to town will buy you a beer, but I do remember playing the Steelers in the 70s. I came to the States in December 75, but fell in love with American football the first night here. We were in a hotel in the Miami International Airport for the night on our way to Houston, and we turned on the TV and saw this WONDERFUL American crazy game, where they lined up in neat little rows, like they had a plan, right, and then something would happen, someone would blow a whistle or yell or something, and then everybody would tackle everybody. Glorious mayhem. Every once in a while you would see the ball: Ooo, look someone threw it, or Ooo look, that guy's running with it! It was Monday night Dec 1, 1975. Pats vs Dolphins. Always kinda liked the Dolphins after that, but am a Cowboy.)
We're never going to agree, but if we keep it civil, we can make this post last forever!

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I think the outlook that "defense wins games" is not an absolute.
Keep in mind, "in their prime"... I would submit that in his prime, Bradshaw's teams were far more balanced than Staubach's during that same time frame... Staubach never had the team advantages Bradshaw had.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
Bradshaw Super Steelers Team of the 70'S,They came they saw they kicked ASS.

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
This isn't even a fair fight....Terry Bradshaw played for a team that was HORRIBLE when he showed up. He had crap to work with and it didn't get good for a few seasons. But then, at that time there were few teams with the $$ that Dallas had. The Yankees of the NFL!!
At any rate, Bradshaw was the leader that made them work - their great D was the reason they won a ton of games for sure, but Bradshaw was best when they were down and he proved it. 4 rings mean something....

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
Staubach lost 5 years to the Navy so he may not have even played in his prime. He mastered the most complicated offense at the time and was a great runner as well. Bradshaw had the better arm and was more physical and took great punishment in the pocket. Either one would be welcome on my team! That said I always rooted more for Bradshaw.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I wasn't alive at such a time to appreciate either of these legends, but since Bradshaw is from my home state, I'll cast my vote for him. Plus, my dad is from Pennsylvania and is a huge Steelers fan. Suppose I grew up watching them as much as the Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.