PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leopardfire57

Lurker
May 7, 2014
Hi there, I've been trying to get two of my very favorite pipe tobacco's. Captain black, white, and the laying IQ. However, my state has a law saying that tobacco cannot be shipped into it. So even though I would like to order these two tobaccos online, I cannot legally have them shipped to me. I cannot seem to find Captain black, white, anywhere in any of the stores I've looked at so far. And I cannot get lanes at all since I would have to send for it out of state. I would like to know if anyone out there is knows how I can get these? I live in the state of Washington. And if anyone else lives here and knows how to get these two, please let me know. I don't want to cause any trouble, but if everyone in the state of Washington that wants to have tobacco sent to state, would get a peep edition. And send it around to be signed. Then we can get the log chains to where we can have tobacco products sent back into the state. Thanks a lot for that!

leopardfire57

Lurker
May 7, 2014
Hi, this is how I started smoking a pipe, back in 1975. I was in my junior year of high school. Now, at that time smoking was considered cool, so it first. I started out smoking cigarettes. I found out about a month later, that my lungs were just not prepared for that. Could not breathe very well. So I stopped. I did not try smoking again until I will join the US Navy. Then I will tried out cigars, specifically Swisher sweets. I did like them, and I found out that I could smoke them slowly so that they did not bother my lungs that much. Then one day I saw a friend of mine smoking a pipe, in the pipes smelled so good that I thought I'd give it a try. So I went out and bought a small little pipe, and tried out the tobacco he was smoking. It was great! Now, since I forgot to ask him what brand it was, the next time I went in to buy tobacco. I asked them what was good and to smoke, they recommended Capt. Black, and I stuck with that from then on. Then for quite appears I stop smoking altogether, that always crazy little scheme out about smoking in places where you used to be able to. So I just got out of the habit of doing so. Now quite recently I decided to try and start up again, I looked online for various products. I know exactly what I'm looking for in a pipe tobacco, smooth, no bite, has a great flavor, and smells really, really good. So far I've only found one tobacco store that is close enough to me that I can go to it myself, and look for the stuff that I want. If somehow the laws change in my state, that I can order tobacco and have it shipped to me. Or if I can find Capt. Black in some of the stores, I will buy that. As of this time, I still have my old pipe from years ago. I had the foresight of putting it away and keeping it. But I have ordered a new one, and all the cleaning gear and filters it go with it, I have been able to order a good tobacco from the store in my state so that I know that I can have it sent to me. So anyway that's how I got started on a pipe, and I will continue to smoke one for the rest of my life.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Try Walgrens and Rite Aid - they carry Capt. Black & Carter Hall.
For the really good stuff drive to Tacoma and on Hosmer Street there is a Tinderbox. They have some great blends and if you buy over 4 oz. of the same blend, you get a discounted price. Lane 1Q is called Wilshire there, also try Chartwell.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome to the forums!
I am currenty stationed here in WA as well, and yes, the law does state that tobacco cannot be shipped in to or out of the state. It can be rather frustrating. Where in WA are you? If your anywhere near Tacoma, there is a Tinderbox just off I5 that has a pretty good selection. I believe most of the Walgreens carry CB white as well. If not, look for one of those smoke shops, the kind that advertise cheap cigarettes but mainly sell fake swords and incense. Alot of them seem to carry different Captain Black and Borkum Riff blends.
Another option is joining the Seattle Pipe Club. They meet monthly in Fife at Smokey Joe's Cigar Lounge. You will have great opportunities to meet other pipe smokers and sample blends, etc at the meetings.
Hell, if your close to Tacoma, let me know, we can meet up for a smoke and I can point out the places that carry decent tobacco.

Jan 8, 2013
Ah, I missed the Navy part, I take it your in Bremerton? A bit of a drive to Tacoma, but it would probably be worth it to hit the Tinderbox once a month or so to stockpile.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
leopardfire:
Tinder Box stores will usually do mail order. And I'd guess that a good pipe/tobacco shop would too. Are there none in Washington that you could call up and ask?
I'd hate to see you have to get a "peep edition" going to shake up the "log chains." ("Peep edition" I figured out. . . but "log chains"? :) )
Bob

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There's another chain of tobacconist shops in WA - Tobacco Patch. A quick search shows two in Seattle proper (Pike Place Market area and Pioneer Square), one in Kirkland, and one in Bellevue (waaay over on the east side). I've actually been to the one in Bellevue, and it had a pretty good selection of tinned tobacco (I was not looking for bulk or pouch at the time, sorry - I needed a pouch, and he had Escudo in stock...). Prices are about what you'd expect in a state trying to tax smoking into extinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.