Starting on a low budget (corn cobs, filters, and more)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechjan

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
Hello, I've been reading about pipe smoking in the last few days and it has caught my atention. My only previous experience with smoking has been a few cuban cigars (or "habanos", in spanish).
So far, what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), is that corn cob pipes are the best way of getting started with a limited budget, so I was thinking about making a purchase of some of these so I can rotate them.
What I don't understand too much yet is filters, and I need to understand it before making my first purchase. With my previous experience with cigars I'd imagine I don't want filters, since I won't be inhaling the smoke and I want to enjoy the flavor. But when I look into the available corn cob pipe choices I see that the vast majority comes filtered, so my questions are:

Can I buy a filtered one and ditch the filter without messing with the airflow or something? Or is it better to go with unfiltered ones?
Also, any recommendations on tobacco for getting started?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Personal choice and as observed, MMs smoke fine without the filter.
I wouldn't think of offering up a suggestion as to starter blends. It depends entirely on your palate. Pick a vendor with a variety pack and start there I guess. Or, visit a tobacco shop and see what catches your nose and talk with a knowledgeable staff person, if there is one.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
MM does offer filterless stems with a smaller draft hole for their pipes. I you order from them they may throw in a couple on your order.

mechjan

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
darwin,

They have slim bits in their website catalong, but it says they only fit unfiltered pipe models

http://corncobpipe.com/slim-non-filtered-bits.html

Or do you mean the "danish" ones? These are supposed to fit filtered pipe models

http://corncobpipe.com/danish-filtered-bits.html
warren,

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a tobacco shop that offers pipe tobacco near me, so I can only order online blindly. I'll try to find a variety pack as you suggested.
Thanks for the suggestions.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You should feel free to email some of the vendors with what you might like. I'm sure most would quickly respond. They are trying to grow their customer bases, so use them as a resource like you would a research library. I suspect one or all of them would be happy to build you a personal sampler package after a conversation or exchange of emails. Give it a try.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Sometimes I use a filter, mostly I don't. As others observed, they smoke fine without the filter. If you're in the continental US, I'd be happy to send you a little sampler pack of tobacco - PM me if interested

mechjan

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
mackeson,

I'm not from the US, but I appreciate it.
warren,

Although you have given me good advice, and I'm grateful, I recently found out that importing these kind of products to my country could be tricky, which makes me have to consider the issues that may arise on my side after buying the tobacco. I was told that a somewhat safe way to buy is getting one or two tins of 50g at a time, so I'll have to abide to that rule.
pagan,

I'll look into these, thanks.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll buy some of the cool filtered pipes and just ditch the filters then.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I wouldn't think of offering up a suggestion as to starter blends. It depends entirely on your palate. Pick a vendor with a variety pack and start there I guess. Or, visit a tobacco shop and see what catches your nose and talk with a knowledgeable staff person, if there is one.

+1 exactly.

As for the smoking machine, using cobs in the beginning will give you a good idea of what pipe smoking is. Just know that, for myself and many others, smoking from a nice briar (or other material) pipe is a much nicer experience.
Which country are you in ?

I live in China, import rules are pretty tight but I still can get a pound at a time without issues. The tricky part is to lower the shipping fees, that's why I try to buy, at one time, 1 or 2 tins then the rest in bulk.

It comes way cheaper that buying the same blends in China from importers. The downside is the wait, 2-3 weeks every time. :crying:

mechjan

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
I'm from Chile, South America. Import rules on organic stuff is kind of tight here. Though, in my experience, most of the time the small untracked packages go unchecked and one gets away with it.
The problem in my case is that I'm not even from the capital, so availability and price here is a problem. And even if I was, there's a pipe smoking club there that still prefers to order online.
Getting a briar pipe would be great, perhaps in time I'll be able to get my hands on one.

mechjan

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
Ok, I already ordered some pipes.

I ended up ordering one tin of "HH Old Dark Fired" and one of "Squadron Leader". The choice was fairly random.

It will take a while until I receive my stuff, I'll report back once I have my first smoke.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
mechjan
if I may offer a couple of suggestions... first buy some balsa wood and google Savinelli balsa filter. Make some. They will be useful. Not really a filter, but absorb tons of moisture. Secondly contact member mcitinner1. He is a Godsend to us, pipe smokers outside of USA.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fs-tobacco-list-9-18-16

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Add me to the list of folks who remove the filters and toss em'
Both of the blends you ordered are good blends, but remember that you might not like them. You don't yet know where your taste preferences lie.
If it turns out you don't like them, don't be discouraged, there's lots of other blends to try, that's the fun of it all!

May 4, 2015
I smoke cobs every day. Have for a number of years. I couldn't even tell you what they smoke like with the filter in them. Not even interested in finding out.
Good choices on the tobacco!
Welcome!

Mar 1, 2014
Any filter pipes can be smoked without filters just fine.
My opinion is that filter pipes when used without filters are better than pipes that don't have a filter slot, but in general the best advice is probably just not to worry about which configuration you have either way.

mechjan

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
Ok I'm reporting back as promised. I'll quickly describe my first experience with the Squad Leader. I got instant tongue bite on the first puff and felt very spicy, also I drawed way too much and kind of burnt a little. At first it was kind of hard and was difficult to keep the tobacco burning, but I started to control my draw better, and the taste also started to improve. The experience gradually progressed from unpleasant to enjoyable. I suppose my future smokes will also improve with time.

Thanks to everyone who advised me on this thread, I'm kind of silent in general but I hope to participate occacionally on the forums in the future.
A2bCpRm.jpg

DYdm6hl.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like to dry out squadron leader a bit before packing, spread enough for a bowl out on the table for a half hour before smoking, (not in direct sunlight). To be honest it is kind of an odd blend, I would try a few more blends before writing off that whole genre of blend, I would make recommendations when you get through a few more bowls and are able to say what it is you do or dont like about squadron leader.

I find the nicotine levels in the ODF are much higher than in squadron leader, there is probably threads here somewhere talking about different ways to smoke flake, but if you cube cut it I recommend just gravity filling rather than tamping it down, otherwise rub it right out to fill/tamp more like a ribbon cut blend.

Enjoy!

Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.