PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Hey guys,
I am in the beginning stages of production for a video series that interviews pipe smokers, makers, and pipe visionaries that will be featured on YouTube and other media. I'm hiring a professional musician and we met this weekend to go over the idea, and we created a demo song for the opening theme. I'll be sitting down with him this week in the studio to record, master, and copyright all the music that will be featured (to buy and use a copyrighted song is maddeningly expensive).
When I'm not doing that, I'm buying an HD camera, professional mic, and will have to teach myself how to do video production. My goal is to have a video done before the NASPC show on August 22nd. So that means it's going to be a very busy month.
The end goal is to provide a nearly professional product that allows for a 'fly on the wall' aspect for those who can't listen in on some of the really fascinating conversations that happen at pipe shows and the like. While the production will be professional, the interview is going to be as far away from that as possible. Yup-- i'm aiming for an unscripted almost 'hang out' that is On Topic about the pipe community and some of the neat goings on. Almost as if three guys got together on someone's patio or smoking room to smoke, drink, and shoot the breeze.
So here is where you gents come in:

What do you all think?

Are there any people you would like to see interviewed?

What sort of content do you think would be relevant to cover on a video by video basis?

What are you expectations for the videos given my theme and boundaries?
And also-- I wanted to call the video series "PipeChat", but it seems there are plenty on YouTube who already use that title. What should I title it? I'm stumped..

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Dan, that's a mighty ambitious endeavor! Do you have a travel budget, or will the interviewees be more on the local side? This is something I thought of doing a while back, but to do it at the level that I would want to put out, it is a ton of work that I don't think would pay for itself - at least for me.
Good luck with it.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Howdy Dan and Kevin

I've been setting up appointments in my local area for the same thing

There was a YOUTUBE series (that died) called "pipes and sounds of my hometown" - i thought it would be a great idea to highlight the local pipe community (shops, makers, local smokers, blenders, etc)- help folks know where to go if they're visiting or if they recently moved or if they're a hermit but would like to break the shell.
I will keep you in my thoughts as this sounds overwhelming and could be tons of fun
Keep us all in the loop

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Good luck with your project. It's a great idea.
As you've asked for some input, I'll offer some, based on my 38 years of experience in the entertainment industry. "Fly on the wall" always sounds interesting, and always proves to be boring beyond belief.
Learn how to edit what you get and to reduce the material down to the most interesting moments. Shots of a group of people shooting the breeze will doom your idea. Guaranteed. Boring, boring, boring.
Documentary film makers shoot anywhere from 50 to 100 times what they end up using, and in the process of cutting down make tough decisions about what is really essential and engaging. Your first focus needs to be on learning to use your tools, the camera, mic, and software.
Music is nice, but it's a secondary level concern. If you're more focused on secondary concerns at the outset, rather than learning how to shoot, how to frame, how to engage your subjects and how to edit to present an interesting story, then you've put the cart about two miles before the horse.
This isn't a question of presenting a professional level program, but one of even basic competence. Telling an engaging story is the bottom line. The rest is fluff. Telling an engaging story takes work and focus. If you're not focused on the story, you've got nothing.
Good luck!

goinslow

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
Good luck with the show... I will sub myself when it comes out!
Pipechat is taken so recommendations..... hmmm.
Briar and Smoke Rings.

Porch time and Pipe Rings

Tamping along slowly
Ok I give up... I cant think of anything to help... lol sorry.
But cant wait to see the videos!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Great Idea and Great Advice so far however you must be up to the task. many think if you build it they will come but nowadays thats never the case. You should start small make little edited videos of tobaccos and pipes until you develop a decent following, then you can evolve with that following into something bigger and greater.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
kevin: Yup, it sure is! I don't have a travel budget. I am isolated locally as far as getting interviews is concerned, so I limited myself to a 7 or 8 hour car trip in a given direction. I live in the southwest part of Michigan which leaves me pretty wide open in terms of some potential interviewees. There are quite a few people within the tri-state area that would help fill the gaps and make the video make sense on a semi-regular occurrence basis. I think bringing the setup to pipe shows will help me with that as well. If I were to get some shoots in at places like the NASPC or Chicago Pipe Shows, it will broaden my spectrum considerably. I don't think it would be untoward to ask some of the friends I've made at those venues if they would like to sit down for a bowlful and be interviewed. And yeah, it'll be a ton of work as well, but it will be a fun part-time hobby to pursue and give me an excuse to go out and have a little fun every once in a while and take away the monotony of my full-time work schedule.
theediabeticman: Is this still a project you're working on? When you mentioned the hermits breaking out of their shell, that really struck home for me in this endeavor and was part of my intent for doing this thing. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to start a conversation, swap notes, experiences, etc. My wallet has had to leash my ambition in many respects, but in doing this I'm going to try and make it the best I can within my means.. and if it means drastically cutting down on many things to afford to do so, then that's something I can embrace. :lol:
sablebrush52: Some very valid points! Thanks for the input. "Fly on the wall" will pertain to the viewer alone (haha, obviously right?). I feel like many pipe smokers 'miss out' in so many ways by not attending pipe shows and being a "fly on the wall" to some of the conversations that happen there. I've sat in on some really mindblowing conversations, and intend to keep that at the lifeblood of the whole project. The video will have a loose skeleton to keep the conversation on topic as much as possible, as the video has to keep the viewer's attention and so on. Looking at some of the Radio Show interviews, Brain really captures a laid back interviewing style which I'd like to keep at heart when moving forward. I know it's going to be a challenge to capture the best from my equipment and skill, I have my work cut out. As far as the music is concerned, it was taking that leap that took the idea of doing this from a brainchild to a "Wow, I'm really going forward with this" project. Things just happened to line up that way for me. I have ordered the rest of the equipment i'll need and it will delivered before the music is even close to being finished, so that should give me the time to read up and do some video demos before I move ahead with scheduling an interview. At the end of the day, i'm doing this because it sounds like a neat side-hobby and should provide a few laughs at least!
goinslow: Thanks for the input and support! I might have stumbled upon the right name this afternoon at work. I was thinking maybe "Pipe O'Clock" could work. It has parallels to some of the slapstick adages like "Beer Thirty" or "Five O'Clock Somewhere" that I think most pipe guys could understand. Just try it next time you go to load a pipe.. it may be 2:17 in the afternoon when you happen to load a pipe, but it's always Pipe O'Clock when you get down to it, right?
smokeybear: I get what you're saying. However, I wanted to start at a point that if it was good enough to serve the purpose, why change it? And if things change in the future, I'm hoping as a young guy that I'll have a bigger budget if and when that comes around. As far as small videos... holy whoah is YouTube already smattered with them! The videos will be approximately a half hour to forty five minutes long and will feature full interviews, not solo 'how to-introduction to the hobby' sorts.
Thanks for all the input, folks! I'll be sure to check in on this thread to address any other questions or points that may come up as well as keep you guys in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.