PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
So, I have been smoking a pipe for a year now, my question would be this, if I wanted to start cellaring Tinned Tobacco that would age well and possibly even go up in value, what would I buy?
I already have a ton of tobacco for my smoking, just thinking of getting into tins big time.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Virginia's Vaper's, anything with a high Va content. If you look at the MacBaren price jump that was probably a big surprise for everyone and made everyone's tin values go up a good 5$ instantly. Tobacco is just going to go up in price, it already has I've noticed. It's all a crapshoot, if something popular is discontinued then it's going to be valuable. I don't cellar with the goal of making money, it's just that I know I'll make money if I ever have to quit smoking.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you want to make an investment, buy property, not tobacco. As Will Rogers said, "God ain't making any more of it."
As far as what to buy, try different blends and stock what you like. Virginias have a long shelf life. Latakia peaks after 15-20 years and starts to fade soften. Burleys also have a good long shelf life. Aros lose their flavors over the long run.
Cellar for your future pleasure. That's the only good reason to do it.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
anything with a high Va content.
I completely agree with that. Though I wouldn't suggest purchasing tobacco as an investment, chances are that if you ever choose to stop piping, you will probably be able to make back your money and some on sealed tins, especially if they have at least 2-5 years of age. Limited edition tins would be a good place to start, such as McClelland's Christmas Cheer which comes out each year. Tins from 5-8 years ago fetch 2-3x their original price, and the original 1992 just sold a few days ago for over $180. I'm trying to track down and collect all the years and finally crack the oldest once I have each year :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
There's are two little know blends which I even hesitate to mention here for fear of others taking advantage of my insider knowledge. I'll share this information cryptically so as to not give anything away... These tobaccos are represented by the offices of Stonezance and Penhaven.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have a feeling that I'm alone here, but anybody else find dissapointment in our "cellars"? When The Wine People say "cellar", they mean beautifully built cabinets inside slightly chilled, humidity maintained rooms built of stone with beautiful seating and tools of the trade. Us, we have cabinets/boxes filled with tins and jars. I say we all get together and do battle!!! overthrow the Wine People and steal their cellars!!!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The first thing you do is decide what you like. No point in stocking up on something you don't care for. You aren't going to make money on tobacco; as was suggested above, there's better ways to invest your money.
Personally, the idea of buying tobacco as an investment just reminds me of hoarders, price gougers, and other forms of greedheads, who basically turn my stomach.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
@Nate. Great idea. Enthusiasts of other consumables have very ornate 'cellars'. I have a couple boxes thrown into the dark recesses of a closet. Given the remarkable artwork on a number of the tins I have and the effort that goes into making tins aesthetically pleasing, they should be displayed in some fashion.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
For more than a few years, I owned a bar/cafe. It would've been the greatest job in the world were it not for all the damned customers. Without the customers it was just the coolest living room in the world, computers/T1, all the beer/liquor you could want, an 80in tv, and enough industrial filtration so that smoke never touches the leather furniture, and a private patio. I always loved the idea of a cellar being both storage/display for consumables as well as the place for consumption. I live alone in a 3BR house. Eventually that 3rd bedroom will become a miniature version of my bar, a very miniaturized version :( c'est la vive
I believe, as a group, we need to come up with a different term for what 99.99% of us have which is a box, a cabinet, or a closet filled with tins/jars/bags/Mylar. "Cellar" should be reserved for the lucky bastards with an entire room dedicated to smoke and its associated hardware and accoutrements. Unless you can say "gentleman, let us retire to the cellar for a drink and a smoke", you have no cellar. I have no cellar, only shelves of tobacco.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
" Cellar for your future pleasure. That's the only good reason to do it."
+1 Brush. It could possibly be the only baccy you will have, if the nanny state succeedes. At any rate, store what you like that will keep well. Worst case scenario, you will have some scrumptious VA's. :puffy:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Sometimes you get lucky and get aged tobacco when you order. The last tin of Elizabethan Mixture I received was tinned over 2 years before. I'm cellaring some 3 Oaks Syrian but plan to smoke it long before it fades in 10-15 years. It's tasty now and will run out of production in the next several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.