PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm posting this with the hope that some of the newer pipe smokers or the lurkers that may want to get into the hobby can benefit from this package.
I'm in no way associated with Eric Stokebye and this is strictly informational.
Eric Stokebye's 4rth generation tobacco now has a beginners smoking kit on the market that retails at about $80 and the kit includes a very nice H.I.S. Pipe, either smooth or blasted and a 50gram tin of their Aromatic 4rth Gen tobaccos, pipe cleaners, pipe/tobacco pouch and a pipe nail all nicely presented in a gift box. This is IMHO a great way for someone who's not yet purchased a decent mid grade briar pipe or have been smoking cobs (which are fine too). There's an instructional booklet included as well.
It's a long overdue product introduction that will hopefully help folks get off with a positive experience and allow them to stay immersed in the hobby.

Kits such as this should make it easier for potential customers to get an all inclusive product selection without the overwhelming array of pipes and accessories they are overloaded with when visiting a shop or looking online. I apologize for not posting links but I'm over 50 and have limited skills with such things. Hope this is helpful.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I gave my kid brother a 'kit' awhile ago. It contained one MM cob. Three blends. Pipe cleaners. Box Matches. One golf tee, and one copy of a P&C catalog.

He's a non smoker, but he said he'd tried it a few times on the porch of his lakeside home in the evening and enjoyed his momentary respite from the day's stresses.

Only 3 more brothers to 'convert'. One is already well on his way. He dug out a Kaywoodie white briar lovat while I was visiting and I gave him a tin of White Knight to take with him to work. His 3rd wife isn't a fan of tobacco, so he's got to sneak his bowling in while he's away at work...

One is awaiting my sending him samples and has tried his hand at carving his own pipes, but doesn't smoke, yet.

One is a hard core vaper and cig smoker that I have little hope of helping. He tolerates my pipe smoke in his home, but has no interest.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I sent my brother a kit of cobs: A Freehand; A General; A Diplomat; and an Eaton along with cleaners, pipetool; plus a tin of Orlik Golden Slice, Missouri Pride cob blend, Carter Hall and PA.
He likes the Eaton best and the Missouri pride tobacco best. Takes it one pouch at a time.I'm hoping he will switch habits and get away from the cigarettes and God-awful, mini-cigars he inhales.
The kit from Peter sounds like a good deal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel mixed about pipe smoking kits. Having the whole package -- pipe, tobacco, pipe cleaners, pipe tool, and matches/lighter -- is a tremendous convenience and security against buying too much for starters. Especially, it's not good to buy multiple pipes or larger quantities of tobacco before you have any idea what you're doing. So from that perspective, it is an ideal way to start. Alternately, much or most of the hobby involves a process of continually shopping, often without buying anything yet, and evaluating the alternatives, and finally making a carefully considered choice and trying it out. So in a sense, buying that first cob, basket pipe, or hardwood pipe, some considered blend of tobacco, and the pipe cleaners and tools, ala carte, is the real beginning of the process. I started by buying individual items, but I had a long internship watching my dad and other family members smoke pipes, so perhaps I had an "unfair advantage." I didn't have to walk into it with zero knowledge. Picking and choosing is the essence of the activity, so the sooner that can begin, without undue wasted expense, the better, I say.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"He likes the Eaton best and the Missouri pride tobacco best."
Love all the Missouri Meerschaum pouch blends. Missouri Pride is an old codger blend
"Missouri Pride is the kind of blend that most pipe enthusiasts would associate with the Missouri Meerschaum corn cob experience. This is a blend of superb quality Burleys with some Virginias added, and minimal top flavoring. The blend is made up of broken flake, with some ribbon-cut Burley, for a nice, even burn, and the flake processing adds a deeper flavor to the tobacco. For a smooth blend with real tobacco flavor you can enjoy all day long, try a pouch of Missouri Pride.
To quote an attendee from the Chicagoland Pipe and Tobacciana Show from 2014- "Missouri Pride is what Prince Albert wants to be when he grows up.""

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Good quote Jack. I didn't mention that the kit I put together for my brother came under a frog and IMO offered better value than those with a cheap throw-away briar.
But not everyone has a brother to put together a kit for them, so all in all, it is probably positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.