PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I got this set of pipes from scrooge. Thanks to him, I will be practicing meerschaum restoration. This is the set of pipes. They arrived today.
ZaevNzp.jpg

I started working on the second one from the top. It looks like this now.
23992879488_00ae0ff66b_z_d.jpg

23992877388_94d40a5f2a_z_d.jpg

37813601362_4e55b783b0_z_d.jpg

That took a couple of hours with all my reamers, working under hot running water. The bowl cleaned up pretty well. The stem took a lot of work, finally getting it clean inside. Now to repair the chip in the stem. Epoxy I think. Oh, I used pipe brushes, a tooth brush and some (don't faint) toothpaste on the outside. The rim cleaned nicely with careful scraping.
37796945756_959bbfe1e7_z_d.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks! I think I will just use this thread for all of them. One long thread so I don't lose it.
No, the cleanup is a restoration. Inside/out to make it as 'new' as possible. The bowl and rim were quite caked. It came out easily. The bottom of the bowl may have been repaired, there is a very hard, lumpy area near the bottom. I can't ream it. If it won't come out, it won't hurt the pipe though. The threads are worn and loose in the stem/shank connection. Not bad, and they may respond to therapy. The stem was a bear to get clean. I suspect that bent stems don't get cleaned often. Vigorous scrubbing with brushes, bristle pipe cleaners and soap eventually prevailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.